Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My boys. How I adore them.

Yesterday was one of those "I wish time could stand still" moments. Those usually happen when I slow down and try to be more present in the moment. And usually it's not a monumental occasion. More often than not, it's me noticing the beauty in the ordinary things that happen day to day. It's when I take the time to observe. Or stop and really listen and focus on what the kids have to say. Today it was nothing more than seeing my kitchen strewn with toys and both the boys right in the center of it happy as little clams. They were playing together. Well, sort of.

Rollin loves to go to preschool, but he also really enjoys the mornings he gets to stay home and just play around in his jammies. I try not to run errands the mornings Rollin doesn't have school because I enjoy the unstructured time at home with my little boys. And errands are kind of like torture with Rollin. He wants to buy EVERYTHING. And invite EVERY pretty girl, young or old, to his birthday that is six months away. But that's another story.

While I run the girls down the street to the bus, I usually leave Rollin at home. That boy sure gets busy and sometimes a little bit sneaky. I picture a smaller version of the Home Alone kid. I know he heads straight to the chocolate chip jar. He can't really hide that with all the chocolate smeared on his face., though he tries to deny everything. Some days he hauls big bins of toys to the kitchen and dumps them. Or he tries to find dinosaurs on my computer and freezes it or opens a million windows. So lovely. One day I came back from the bus stop to find him flying down the hall on his bike. His outside bike. He had a total " I'm busted" look on his face. I could not get mad because the pure joy on his face was priceless. I think he knew the risk he was taking, but wanted to do it so badly that his desire overcame his judgement and he went for it. He was having the time of his life.

Yesterday Rollin spent the morning working with his trains. I was surprised at how long Evan was entertained just rolling around on the floor amidst a sea of blocks, trains, and dinosaurs. I just worked in the kitchen for awhile and then sat on the floor and just watched them. I played a little but mostly just watched their interactions. I love these two little guys with all of my heart. Just the very thought of Rollin's booming voice or Evan's laugh bring me such joy. They are such fun!

Photobucket
Rollin likes to start the day with a bang. He usually bursts out of his room and runs to the kitchen. He is READY for the day. Today he got it started by getting down to some Taylor Swift tunes. You can sure tell he has sisters! This is him dancing to one of her fast songs.

Photobucket
And now a slow song.

Photobucket
Making oval and circle tracks.

Photobucket
"He touched me Mama, he touched me!!!"
Photobucket
Evan checking out what big boys do.

Photobucket
And the BIG highlight of the day was Eric beginning some work on our guest bathroom. Eric will have his bags of tools in the house for a whole week and he's so good to entertain the dozens and dozens of questions Rollin asks. He's so patient and kind. I came in this afternoon and he was teaching Rollin the names of tools while he worked.

The boy is in heaven.

3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

very cute. i can see these two are going to be close buddies as soon as evan starts being able to sit up and be more mobile.

ryan got a texas number 956-624-0066. he thought you forgot his birthday :) not that he cared but i'm sure at some point he would have teased you about it.

camilla won't chew vit c tablets or multi-vit...she says they are too "delicious" which means they are sour to her. she will take the elderberry syrup though. we kept her on that, 1 tsp a day, and she had one day of a moderate fever and laying on the couch. we upped the dosage to 3 tsp a day for 2 or 3 days and since then she has been totally fine. everybody is getting the flu here too. i just hope it is the same one so we can be done with it!

Erin said...

those have been some of my happiest moments in mothering...when you see your children playing together. I love it! They are going to have so much fun in the years to come :)

the Geoff Davis said...

Cute little Evan found his thumb. Good thing he has so much cushion to lay on the hard floor!

When do you go to Hawaii?