Zig's hard work is paying off. Lots of fruits and veggies coming on strong during the past week. Even the existing fruit trees are doing so much better this year. We have about 200 strawberry plants and each day more and more strawberries are ripening up. Not that we ever see them. Nina and company stroll through the garden each afternoon and clean house. If there's a hint of red, in the mouth it goes! I packed she and Rollin a lunch one afternoon when they were going to the park with the babysitter. I gave them some little baggies and told them to go pick some fruit for their dessert. They came back with bags full of cherries and strawberries, all in various stages of ripeness, but they claim even the white strawberries taste good.
These yellow roses smell divine.

This tree bloomed this year and it is the most fragrant thing ever! The girls call it the perfume tree. I think they were trying to figure out some concoction they could make out of the leaves.
Progress
Nina's radishes! She loves, loves, loves radishes. So of course she planted a ton in her garden box.
3 comments:
Um! I am gearing up to start a garden this year...against Ryan's will but it has to be done. Our produce section is so gross. Looks like you guys will be eating well in the next couple months! You should read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable Miracle. I'm part way through and it's pretty interesting. They moved from Arizona to the east coast to live strictly off their land for a year. Sounds like you guys are already pretty close to that!
Hi, Ashley! I'm green (or red?) with strawberry envy! ...And forgive my nerdiness, but your 'tree' looks like a mock orange to me. To keep it pretty, every few years cut back some of the old growth. That will allow new shoots to come in and let sunshine in around the branches as well. You'll get a fuller, more dense plant and more flowers too! :-) If you're interested google its Latin name, Philadelphus. Also, one of these days I'm going to sit down and catch up on some chicken chatter with you. I should also send you some pics of our VERY WEIRD egg in an egg. One of our hens laid a HUGE egg, and August accidentally cracked it carrying it to the house. So we used it right away to mix up some cookies. What was inside that gigantic egg? Another egg! Complete with a shell, yolk, white, everything. One little egg inside another great big egg. Crazy! We've also had several laid without shells- just the membrane on the outside. They're like water balloons! We drop them on the ground for the hens (assuming they don't break them themselves leaving the nest). Our hens love eggs better than anything I think. Any cracked eggs get tossed out into the grass for them and they all come running like kids to a pinata that just took one final, side-splitting whack. They fight over broken eggs like 5-year-olds fight over candy. Wilder likes to see them come running for them so much that sometimes he lobs a perfectly good egg (or 2 or 3) into the henhouse floor just for sport. No, no!, we tell him, but he laughs anyway because it is funny to watch them. Okay, last question: Do you have a copy of The Produce Bible? -Jennifer
Awesome, oh how nice to live in such a lush, easy growing place. We had strawberry plants growing up too, and would eat them right off the plant. I don't think any ever made it inside. But we didn't have 200 plants either! Our plants are making slow but steady progress.
Post a Comment