
This morning, May 2, 2009, our baby boy was born at home, welcomed by lots of loving arms and faces. He arrived 1 week early. We've been so anxious to meet him!He didn't make it by Friday night, but that turned out to be a very good thing. He was patiently waiting on everyone who needed to be present for the birth. Zig was traveling and supposed to be home Friday evening. At about 1:45am I started tossing and turning in bed after feeling what felt like a contraction. I laid there for a few minutes and had the same feeling again. When I got up to check the clock, I noticed Zig was not in bed. I called him to see if he had missed his flight. He had in fact missed the flight, been shuttled to another airport in San Francisco, and made one of the last flights back. He had just touched down in Seattle and was on the tarmac when he picked up the phone. I told him I might be having a baby in the next 24 hours, and I think he was quite surprised. The amazing thing is I had my first contraction at about the exact moment he hit Seattle. By the time he walked in the front door, I had tracked the progress for an hour and there was certainly a pattern. I was definitely in labor. I had spoken to the midwife and told her I'd call her when things got going a bit more.
I started "nesting" real quick. I'm not a big planner, obviously. I tend to work better under pressure. But I had really planned to be more ready for this moment than I was!
Find the towels. Get the birth kit. Plug in all the cameras to charge. Find the yoga mat, the birthing ball, the candles, the music, and the energy drinks. Receiving blankets and newborn hat. Make the bed in the sheets I want to sleep in after baby is born and then cover it with a plastic sheet. Put the pillow inserts in a plastic bag and then put the pillow cases on. I had most of this done by 4:30am. I felt a bit of excitement and a twinge of anxiety as I got everything ready. Zig was exhausted and fell right to sleep when he got home. The house was totally quiet while I was busily preparing. I tried to keep moving and was often stopping to lean against the wall or counter during contractions.
I thought about waking mom, but I waited when I peeked in her room and could tell she was deep asleep. She had just arrived from Texas that afternoon and hadn't slept much the night before. Around 5:30 am I started to really feel some pain so I opened the guest room door and whispered "today's the day." She was up like lightening. She helped me sterilize the birthing ball because Rollin had it out in the yard all week. I called the midwife at about 6am. At this point (pain-wise) I was already at the birth center with Rollin 3 years ago. I could tell she was timing me and listening to my voice as a cue to how close I was. I mentioned to her that I don't really get loud or make noise when I labor so it may sound easy but really, things are feeling pretty intense right now. She said, "that's very good to know." She said she and another midwife would be to our home at 7:15. I think by the time they both arrived, it was 7:40.
Meanwhile, I walked around the yard and tried to keep things progressing.
7:30am trying to relaxTiffany asked if I wanted her to check me to see if I was dilated. I was very curious at this point. It could have been 1 or 2 centimeters, or it could be 7. I had no idea. I think we were both suprised, especially Tiffany, when I was fully dilated and the baby was low and ready to be born. I found Mom and Zig and let them know that the baby was definitely coming this morning.
I had to get 1 dose of antibiotic intravenously for strep b, and then we decided to break my water. It was up to me, but my water never breaks on its own and I usually spend a couple hours not progressing with my water bag intact, and in that time I get very tired. I didn't want to waste any energy so Cari broke my water. I took a few contractions to gather my strength and thoughts, and I decided to try the birthing stool and give it my all for several pushes.
Mom brought the kids in after two pushes and they were there for about 10 minutes until the baby was born. It was quite intense but quick and at 9am I had our precious baby in my arms.
whew, glad that part's over :)
he felt pretty chubby and had tons of "lotion"
After nursing like a little pro, Tiffany weighed the baby and gently checked him out. He weighed 8 lbs 9 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.

8 lbs 9 ounces!
gentle newborn exam
Cari and Tiffany, my two wonderful naturopath-midwives
What are you thinking, sweet Rollin?
Snuggles for the rest of the day.
Love from Mom

Having a home birth was absolutely wonderful and everything was just so calm. The midwives were there to support us in every way. The kids were in and out and had different levels of interest and concern for Mommy. Rollin's first question after seeing the baby born was, can I go finish my dino movie now? I could smell yummy pancakes cooking while I was laboring down the hall, and with my Mom here, I knew everything was taken care of.
Best of all, I was able to crawl right in my own bed after the birth. Nobody poked and prodded me or the baby. And there was no hurry for anything. I think Tiffany and Cari were on their way by 11am. I didn't know them as well as the other midwives, but they turned out to be fantastic. Midwives are amazing and I am so grateful I was in their care. When they left, I was able to enjoy some delicious homemade mango pancakes from Mom. I don't think anything ever tasted so good. I was starving!
And now we are a family of six. This is an experience I will treasure.
*The name of our baby is still a matter of intense discussion!*
17 comments:
You go girl! What a precious perfect baby. Congratulations!
Congratulations Serafin family! Now that is the kid of labor and delivery story I like to hear. The pictures are so wonderful. We are so thankful all went well and you are enjoying your precious little boy. What an amazing experience to have the baby at home!
Good luck with the name. That is always so hard (well I've only done it once...but being your 4th, I can only imagine it being that much harder!)
Congrats Ashley. I'm so excited for you what an amazing, beautiful, touching, experience. Congrats. May 2nd is a great Day:)The sun allways shines. Lot's of Love
Congrats on joining the four kids club! You guys will do great! It really isn't that much different than three somehow. He is so beautiful! I wish we could be there to take your kids so you could have a long nap! We'll be thinking of you!
Congratulations! What a beautiful entrance for a beautiful little boy. I loved every minute of his birth story. Can't wait to hear his name!
Oh! What a beautiful story. I am amazed that you have all of details posted already. I LOVE hearing all all about it. I am just so happy for you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
At last!!! Thank you thank you thank you for sharing the precious details of the miracle of your birth. I started crying when I saw that beautiful black and white photo of you holding your wet baby with your mom behind you. That moment is so sacred. I also loved the picture of Rollin looking at you nursing the baby. Cute little Rollin. I'm so happy all went well. The girls are all chanting, "Ashley had her baby!" Seeing your mom made me smile...please give her a big hug and hello for me.
Hooray! He is here and he is adorable and I am sure he is so happy to have joined such wonderful family. What an amazing birth story. You inspire me, my friend!
Wow, you are really a strong woman. Im so glad everything came as you wanted it to. What a special family you are. Thanks for sharing and take care.
Ashley you're amazing! Not only am I incredibly impressed by your fourth labor, I'm amazed that you've already posted the story for us all to share. Congratulations - we can't wait to meet the youngest Serafin!
Wow! We have been anxiously awaiting news of the newest little Serafin and we loved hearing the birth story. Ashley, I KNOW you are stronger than me ... having a baby at home is amazing! The pictures were so beautiful. We can't wait to hear the name. What a sweet family. We love you guys. Love, The Horlachers
Wade
Sven
Bronx Mowgli (Oh no, that's taken)
Emmett
Lennox
Brock
Stan
Way to go Ash! You look beautiful and I am so grateful it went quickly. That was my main request in the many prayers I offered :) I sure wish I were there...it would sure beat a hotel room that is for sure!
I had to laugh at the dilemma over the name! Just make sure you have one before Dad flies out, hee!
Love ya!!!!
Congratulations! I showed Maw Maw the pictures and we both think he's beautiful. Congrats on a good home birth! Looks like it went smoothly. I'm glad your mom came up right on time.
I think it interesting that Erin was praying mainly for a quick birth for her sister. Her prayers were answered! Coincidence, I don't think so because I had a special experience with prayer surrounding Moriah's birth when Erin was in labor. We should not be surprised at how Heavenly Father stands waiting to bless us if only we would petition Him more often!! Very comforting and exciting!!
What an amazing event! And in your own home...so glad everything went well. I'm thankful your mama was there, the mango pancakes sound delicious! So I think the most impressive photo was you sitting in the window seal at 7:30(an hour and 1/2 prior to giving birth) trying to relax! That really is astonishing to me. You are one powerful woman Ashley! And you look beautiful in each picture! Love it all! Thanks for sharing! Welcome baby boy Serafin!
Ashley!
Congratulations to you and your beautiful family! I read and enjoyed every last detail of your home birth, what a terrific experience. Much love to you and your whole family!
Post a Comment