Friday, May 22, 2009

Life with baby...

You'd think time would slow down with a new baby at home. Our pace has slowed but for some reason, the last three weeks just flew. I haven't left home too much and have enjoyed just loving on this baby and not having to be anywhere. But I can't believe our baby boy is three weeks old this Saturday. And I really can't believe Mom is leaving tomorrow. I'm not ready for real life yet.

I've been spoiled with Mom here because she knows just what to do and steps right in whether it be taking Sela to school, making lunches, or getting Rollin his much needed exercise outside! She's taken the kids on special outings, smoothie runs, met the bus for Sela, helped Zig get the garden planted, cleaned non-stop, tried to handle Kona, (ha!), and so much more. She's done laundry continuously since she's been here and we still have piles waiting....I think I may need to hire someone for that job alone when Mom goes. It seems like the laundry load has tripled and we only added this tiny little baby to the mix!

Anyway, aside from all the help she has given me, it's really so sad for me to see her go because I just enjoy having her here. I have someone to try and laugh with at all the craziness around us. And believe me, we've had some crazy days around here! I feel bad because I think we have totally worn her out. She will probably need to sleep for a few days when she gets home!

We'll miss you, Mom!

And here are a few details of the goings on of the past couple of weeks....
  • We named our baby boy Evan. It only took a week and a half and all the kids and Zig love the name. I like the name a lot. We are still working on a middle name. Well, in theory we are. In reality, I haven't seen much of Zig the past couple of weeks.
  • Zig took a new job (still with Microsoft) but he will be splitting his time between Redmond and San Francisco working in SF Monday-Thursday each week for the foreseeable future. Great opportunity, not the best timing :) But we'll have fun spending time down there with him when we can.
  • Evan is a doll. Sweet and beautiful and sleepy.
  • We rarely see his eyes open during the day at three weeks old.
  • He has his days and nights 100% mixed up. This was not a huge surprise to me. I often commented to Zig when I was pregnant that we were in trouble when he was born because of his pattern of being super active beginning each night at 10pm. Almost to the minute, this is when he comes alive right now.
Here he is just before the girls go to sleep...a rare moment awake.


Pictures aren't too easy because I can't rouse him from his slumber!


More sleepy time with Nina


Getting some fresh air and a bit of sunshine outside...

  • He has to sleep every minute right next to me with every part of his body touching some part of me. How dare I try to roll away from him and try to sleep! We are quite the inseparable pair right now. He's a cuddler so he picked the right family.
  • He's a little peach during the day and sleeps anywhere, only waking up to nurse.
  • He purrs while he nurses. I've never had one who purrs, but it's the sweetest sound!
  • The kids are into him, but not as much as I thought. They don't smother him or get in his face much so he's had a fairly peaceful first few weeks. They all seem to really love him, but they are giving him plenty of space. This could be because he is almost never awake when they are.
  • Rollin can't stand to hear him cry. Last night when they were watching a movie and Evan started to fuss a little bit, Rollin said "Quiet down, Baby!"
  • Evan regained his birth weight plus 1 pound before he was two weeks old.
  • My little Rollin seems so big now. I look at his hands and feet and think wow, he's such a big boy! He's had some adjusting, but I don't know how much of it is the age rather than the new baby. He wanted me to take a picture of him on Sunday after I was snapping a few of Evan.

  • Mom invented a new super delicious breakfast treat. I brought her home these yummy coconut covered cashews home which turned out to be rather addicting for both of us, and she made this lovely concoction below. Greek yogurt, champagne mangos, and coconut cashews. YUM!
  • Ben and Eric cranked on the treehouse and started building the porch railing. Lots of sawing logs made for some fun little remnants for the kids to play with.
  • The girls loved having Mom french braid their hair while she was here. What I'm sure Mom didn't love is Rollin trying to "sniff" her while she was braiding. He is very into smells and always likes to cuddle up and smell Mama, but I guess I wasn't available so he added Granny to the list of acceptable people to sniff. Crazy boy! If I ever need to embarrass him when he's older, this little trait of his will most definitely come back to haunt him! Armpits smell that good, Rollin? Really??? I guess it's the Mango deodorant.

Feel the love, Mom!

The last of the tulips bloomed. The red and white ones below are called Rembrandts (if I remember correctly). They are stunning and remind me of a peppermint. Zig planted these around the chicken coup. I almost missed them since I haven't been out there as much lately.

  • And some other new blooms this week:


  • We made a trip to Farrel McWhirter park to see the 15 new baby pigs. Gosh, what am I complaining about, I just had one! There were also three newborn baby goats. All so cute!

I'm flying solo in about 8 hours so I better get back to bed. I finally have my little night owl sleeping in my lap, so it's back to bed for what will likely be my last chance to sleep in for awhile.

Goodnight.

5 comments:

Shenise said...

Yea! Evan, a very noble name! I've been checking your blog daily just waiting for that announcement. Love it and love looking at this sweet new baby boy. Those cheeks are so tempting. I think I need to nibble on them!

I'm sad your mom is leaving too. All the happiness and endless service she provides is truly amazing. Just as I remember her when she visited us in college..I mean you-although she made me feel like she was visiting me too!).I remember a very beautiful shade a mauve nail polish she gave me because I had commented that I thought it was pretty. What a blessing our angel mothers are!

Colleen said...

What a sweet update! I love the name, and he sounds a lot like Zach and Luke, days/nights switched, must be touching at all times...so sweet, and it goes so fast! I love your attitude about it, no stress! Josh loves smells too, he is always asking to sniff one thing or another, especially when I am cooking. But not armpits yet...so cute!

Amber Marie said...

Thank you for sending mom home. I'm sure there were a lot of tears as there were when we left California- actually there still are tears. But Camilla has been asking since the minute we stepped on the plane when she could see Granny! So, let the reunion be here already!!

Evan looks and sounds like a precious little soul. I heard about Nina's prayer asking for Grandma to stay forever- keep praying Nina!!! I'll add mine and we can all live happily among the green trees and peppermint tulips in Washington :)

Susan said...

Love the name Evan. And I loved the update. You all are a busy bunch! Anywho, he looks so big already! hopefully we'll get to meet him soon. Love you all!

Unknown said...

Great blog entry! Love the pic of your mom laughing as Rollin goes in for a whiff. Funny! Really like the name Evan. That has always been one of my favorite boy names.
Love you! Gloria