Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

It's been busy around here keeping up with four little ones! What would I do without Mom?! Sela, who very rarely gets sick for more than a day, was sick the entire week after the baby was born. Apparently, half of her class was out during part of the week with a similar illness....the worst part of it being a persistent cough. She is much better now and finally got to hold her little brother after a week of looking at him from a distance.

We had a very nice, relaxing Mother's day. The weather was warm and sunny, and it was a treat to be able to celebrate the day with Mom here! I don't think we've been together on Mother's Day since I was in high school. She's been a tremendous help over the past week and we've all enjoyed having her here. I am so blessed to have such an amazing and totally selfless mother. The kids and I made a little brunch on Sunday morning. We had zucchini omelets, raspberry scones, croissants, strawberries, kiwis, and a salad.


After we had brunch, I was treated to some very lovely homemade gifts. They had been sneaking around here for a couple of days and had made several trips to Ben Franklin (a craft store) with Mom. Nina made some beautiful beaded earrings and Sela painted me a picture of tulips on a canvas. I also got a book of poetry from Sela and some homemade spa items from Nina. Very fun!

When it was Rollin's turn to give me his present, he didn't want to. He didn't really have one and Mom had helped him pick me a flower and put a little ribbon on it. After he saw the girls give me their gifts, he disappeared to his room and came back with a little sack. He was beaming and when I looked inside, I saw his lovey and a screwdriver. His prized possessions. It was a sweet and very tender moment for me. I got a little choked up just realizing how much he wanted to give me something special. He'd had kind of a rough week with all the changes and with me being so preoccupied, but all his little "behaviors, " like calling me and everyone else "dummy head" were almost forgotten for a moment. I love that little boy!




The rest of the afternoon we sat outside and watched the kids play. Zig had cut the grass on Saturday and they were busy making paths out of it under their favorite climbing tree. There is nothing that makes me happier than to see the three of them all playing together and getting along. I think Sunday was the last time I saw it, come to think of it :) Good times though! And lots of deep breathing!

This little picture of Nina is an example of fashion taking it's cue from nature :)



On Saturday, Zig taught Sela to mow. She was having way too much fun!


The last of our tulips are up now and one of my new favorites is the almost black tulip...it's a deep purple and it is just beautiful. Mom loves the pink ones below because they have this really stunning indigo color inside.

I call this patch the Easter egg patch because the colors totally remind me of Easter. You can see a few of the dark tulips in the mix.

5 comments:

Amber Marie said...

I like how Rollin's gifts "almost" made you forget being called a dummy head! The yard looks beautiful and it sounds like you all are having a wonderful time.

Dee Ann said...

Amber, you must be up late!! I guess we are too!! Hope you and Camilla are enjoying your stay. Yes, seeing and being with Ashley, Zig, Sela, Nina, Rollie Boo & Evan has been a happy time for me.

the Geoff Davis said...

Whoa, your mom's comment says "& Evan"...is that the baby's name? I've been wondering! Love it if it is.

I loved these pictures. I love your kids! Sela's art is fabulous! Nina's rosy cheeks in her rosy dress are priceless. Rollin's transition is so tender and understandable. (I remember hearing the analogy of your spouse bringing home a new, cute wife that everyone had to treat just right.) I love that your mom is there and that you are breathing deeply. :)

Miss you, Ash.

Erin said...

I never thought of it that way...I'll have to remember that one! It's true, it can be a hard transition.

Love all the pics! We were lucky enough to even have dinner on Mother's day ;) I spent the night before scrubbing the life out of our kitchen floors so that we could eat there on Sunday! Love you all and miss you like crazy.

Shenise said...

All of these pics are great, but you MUST enlarge and frame that shot of Nina and the flowers! It's just beautiful and her bright cheeks are very sweet.

And Rollin, what a sweet heart. A tough transition indeed.