Monday, December 22, 2008

Still Snowing.....

Saturday the snow let up and the driving conditions were fair so I headed to Seattle to wrap up my Christmas shopping. We also needed more food. 5 people home for a week and food gets depleted really fast. I got everything done by early afternoon and headed back home as the next snow started to fall.

Back at home I learned Zig had spent the day entertaining the kids and a few of the neighbors with a new kind of sledding (pulling the sleds behind the quad). They did
it again today and it looked like a blast. Sunday we had a joint 1 hour church with another ward for those who felt they could safely make it (not many). Sela had her baptism interview so we made the attempt. We slid around on the road a bit but made it home as the snow dumped again. There are now parts of our yard where the snow passes our knees. The kids have re-united with the neighbors and it's like summer again, running back and forth to each other's yards all day long. Nina had the new little girl Sidney over to play and they hit it off. They figured out they would both be in kindergarten next year and ride the bus together.

Being snowed in, you have to get a little creative. As I looked out across the yard today, I saw Sela and Sophia hauling bags and boxes to our house. They had decided to have a pet play date. Sophia brought her guinea pigs, Rose and Cocoa, over to play with Spotty. With Spotty's water freezing every night, we decided to bring him in. He is still getting used to all the attention and handling. The girls made leashes for their pets and tried to pull them around like little puppies. Then they put the doll clothes on them. Those poor animals!














































Our advent activities have added a little something new to each day. We've been able to do all the long ones without feeling rushed. On Sunday evening, we had a Jerusalem dinner with dates stuffed with goat cheese, flat bread, lentil soup, olives, yogurt curry roasted cauliflower (it just seemed to compliment the menu), and green salad. We ate it by candle-light and we discussed what gift we could each give to the Savior this year.

We also made dozens of tiny salt dough ornaments. Zig heated the barn so we did the painting in there. It was quite the messy endeavor, but well worth it. I'm still cleaning paint out of Rollin's ears. Good times.








3 comments:

Dee Ann said...

I am going to let you and Erin cook while here. I am pooped out and everything you both fix looks sooo yummmie expecially in the cold weather!!! Just kidding, I will cook too, maybe?! The car is going to be loaded tomorrow. It is late and I had better get some rest since I am driving up to greet Travis at the airport. Night!!

Erin said...

How fun! I love it all! (I actually made those exact stuffed dates while on my mission and boy was it a unique flavor.) I love all the ornaments...who needs Anthro ornaments when you can make priceless ornaments as those.

It is freezing here but no snow yet, rrr! I have become such a cold weather lover. I just wish it would snow, as that is the fun part of the cold.

the Geoff Davis said...

Sounds so cozy at your house! I wish Zig could come pick us up on his sled rig and we could come over for some of your good company and cooking! Merry Christmas!