Friday, October 3, 2008

Tomorrow

I remember Mary Asplund, a friend and a mother I admire, shared this piece of wisdom at my baby shower for Sela..."There are good days and crummy days being a mom, but one thing you can almost always count on is if you have a really bad day, the next day is always better." On many occasions I have thought of her words and I have come to see just how true that is, particularly this week.

The beginning of the week was just frustrating. I kind of felt like the Flinstone cartoon where the family is in the car forever spinning their feet and the car doesn't go anywhere. Well, that's how I remember the cartoon, anyway, and that's exactly how I felt this week. So many things to do and I just spun my wheels. Well, I got things done, but I resented the appointments and time spent as they were energy drains. Sela and Nina were both sick at different times, and for some reason lots of bickering in our house, in the car, and at the dinner table. It felt like something was off. There are lots of things I have patience for in mothering, but arguing and bickering is not one. I can't stand it. I feel like all the work I do at home to create peace is being sabotaged when this happens.

And then tomorrow came. And my dear little Rollin couldn't possibly have delighted me any more with his constant laughter, loves, growling, and frequent requests to "smell my tinky feet, momma!" If ever he had a perfect day, this was it. Even the fact that he stuffed all his orange peels down the bathroom drain and clogged it completely up (strange child), didn't bring even a grimace. The dancing while standing on the toilet seat and whizzing almost drew a scolding, but instead I just had to laugh. It's pretty darn funny and you better believe it will come back to haunt him when he's a teenager! I hugged and squeezed, cuddled and tickled this boy all day long and the more belly laughs I heard, the happier I became. My ambitious plans for catching up with all the laundry and organizing the whole house and garage didn't pan out, go figure, but we've enjoyed the day and even the light drizzle of the rain outside.

Nina was also a delight, though a sick one. She woke up with a fever and laid on the kitchen couch all morning asking Rollin politely to "please talk soft." She perked up in the afternoon and ventured outside and attributed her feeling better to the fresh orange juice she sucked from her plate full of orange slices.

Sela will be home soon and Zig wants to do something really special for the kids tonight. They behaved SO well last night when they had to all go to sleep (and not come out once!)so he could have an important conference call without interruption. I was out for a much needed dinner with friends.

Bring on the weekend already!



















Pumpkin ice cream at Theno's Dairy. Pure bliss.

3 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Oh, Ash, wish I was closer to help!! Love you, MOM

Erin M said...

I hear ya Sis! Mothering is a roller coster ride to say the least! Lots of highs and some crazy lows.
Little Moriah has been testing the waters so much lately. The poor thing lives in time out. Ok, not really, although some days it sure feels like it. The chart is helping a ton though.

the Geoff Davis said...

I wouldn't have laughed at the oranges down the drain...hooray for you for seeing the humor most of us need time to see! Tell the kids hi for me! Darcie