Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween Festivities so far...

Halloween is pretty much a multiple week celebration. I'm not sure how I like that, but it is what it is. I love fall and I do get pretty excited about Halloween, but it's the steady flow of goodies that can become a bit much. But whatever...only one more day to go!

Zig and I went to Wendy and Dave's Halloween party a couple weekends ago and it was very fun. Great company and who doesn't enjoy the newlywed game?! We certainly didn't win. We did not disappoint with another year of lame costumes, but at least we made it!

The church party was at the Christmas tree farm again which I think is wonderful. It makes for a very low key atmosphere and the kids love it. Rollin was very assertive when it came to the trunk or treat...I'm a bit worried about Friday night!

Nina had her preschool party today. Lots of volunteers as always and not too crazy or overwhelming. More calm then what I remember from past years. Little Rollie was included and even behaved like a good preschooler. He's entered a bit of a "stage" lately for lack of a better word (where are you Darcie when I need a what to expect from your two year old book?!). Lots of sticking tongue out at mommy, growling, and calling me rude and mean mommy for such horrible offenses as wiping his face, clothing the child, or trying to pull him off from standing position on top of the very high monkey bars. I feel so very warm inside when he yells out "YOU'RE SO RUDE, MOMMY!!!" in the grocery store, playground or wherever. A true proud parenting moment, for sure.

OH, and how can I forget, if I happen to hit a tiny bump in the road, it's "DARN IT, SHOOT!" He gets very irritated that I can't control the road conditions. I can't win.

These little incidents happen on a daily basis right now, but as always with Rollin, there is lots of laughter and tons of cuddles and sweetness. Thank goodness, it helps me shrug off the other behavior, or at least try to.

The girls ran in the Great Pumpkin Run for our school district. Nina snuck in again and raced with the kindergarteners. She did much better than last year and finished in the top third of about 80 kids. Sela ran her little heart out and came in 5th place of about 70 kids. Rollin tried to kill himself the whole time jumping down the bleachers like all the big kids he was admiring.

Sela and Nina decorated pumpkins at PCC last weekend. It was very fun because there were so many fun little items provided to embellish the pumpkins to their hearts content.

We attempted meringue ghosts for family home evening and they came out very cute, vaguely resembling ghosts and tasted yummy. The thing we haven't done yet is carve pumpkins. I've got to psych myself up for that one! Where's my energy drink?










5 comments:

Erin said...

Way to go girls! Very impressed on the run. Love the butterfly outfit Nina, you look gorgeous!

And, um, pictures of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt?? Lame or not we want to see them :)

Amber Marie said...

very pretty costume Nina! I can't wait to see the others.

Congrads to both Sela and Nina, you are better runners than I will ever be. ever!

the Geoff Davis said...

Is Halloween supposed to be a season?! Good grief, I didn't miss it this year. But that fairy-dusted Nina is so precious, and Rollin is so darn squeezable! As for my two-year-old book, and all the others...one thing threads through them all...This Too Shall Pass. I find that deep breathing helps... :)

ashley said...

Well Erin, we didn't quite get the Jolie-Pitt outfits together. Well, I had mine, but I ran out of time to get Zig the hat he needed and a couple other props...he refused to go as Brad Pitt with any sort of costume whatsoever ;) Next year maybe...I may need some new multi-cultural baby dolls and slings...who knows how many kids they will have by then!

ashley said...

I meant to say he refused to go as brad pitt without any costume.