Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Favorite Zoo Exhibits

Nina played a little hooky today at my urging and we met our wonderful new friends, Ketsy and Rune Hendershott, at the zoo! A more perfect zoo day there could not have been. Sunny skies, no crowds, and oh my, I was able to pet my new very favorite animal, an african pygmy hedgehog! We are all fond of hedgehogs in this family and we have a little copper hedgehog sitting in our yard, but such a close encounter today was just really unexpected and so cool! Ketsy and I lined up with all the four year olds for our turn to pet the little hedgie. They are so prickly but cute as ever. That and seeing my next favorite zoo animal, a baby gorilla cuddling its mama, and I was a happy zoo patron. The kids literally ran themselves ragged. Towards the end of the day, and we stayed ALL day, Nina started tripping on her feet and Rollin took a big fall and added another goose egg to the right side of his head. The third this week.














I wished Sela could have been with us, especially for hedgie and the red panda, but she had a lot going on at school today. Wednesdays are her music days...she starts with piano at 7:45 and has choir after school until 4:15. She loves Wednesdays and doesn't seem worn out like I would be when she gets home. She is very hungry though so I make sure to have the snacks ready!

EXHIBIT A: Roaring child in tree. Whose crazy kid is that??!




























EXHIBIT B: Children impersonating monkeys





















EXHIBIT C: Little Posers

2 comments:

Susan said...

looks like a cool zoo. now i understand the hedgehog...lol.

Colleen said...

What a fun day! I am so glad the fall Seattle weather cooperated! I had a friend in college who had a hedgehog for a pet...it would go great with your dog and the chickens!