adjusted to the changes that a new school year brings. I am longing for my summertime routine, which was really not a routine at all. I can't quite get my act together in
many ways. Zig's schedule picked up almost right in sync with the beginning of the academic year. This week we didn't see him once in the evening. He's taken on a new role which presents lots of new challenges...apparently he likes that. He won't be gone as much for too long. It was just a busy week with a deadline looming.
Fortunately, Sela is just loving school. She has a wonderful teacher and a calm classroom environment from what I hear. We were lucky to find a piano teacher one street over and the best part about it is she teaches before school! Perfect for the child who balks at having to drive somewhere after school. Sela expressed some interest in playing piano again, and I didn't give her much time to change her mind. I quickly called and got her lessons arranged. She's enjoyed it so far and practicing is going fairly well.
I've been trying to make progress on the house and dying for my kitchen table and orange chairs to come. It's late, of course. I was super excited to find this fabric I have been loving for the last year or so, but had never seen in person. I went into a shop in Seattle and they had chairs covered in the fabric. I brought a swatch home and it is perfect. A total love. The fabric is around $300 a yard which is nuts, but the colorways are something that is impossible to find elsewhere. I just happened to check on Etsy for this particular fabric and for some crazy reason someone was selling two pillows in the Shumacher dragon fabric for $90! I was so excited. I know I can't top Erin's thrift store and Craig's lists finds, but this was a find in it's own right and I felt happy after all this furniture shopping, I got a myself a little deal! We don't even have the sofa for them yet, but we have a drawing. Slow progress. Patience I do not have.
This weekend we had a double baptism for Sela's good friend Kate, and another friend Sydney. It was very sweet. Sela went over to her primary teacher's house before the baptism and they made treats together to serve. She has such a wonderful and dedicated teacher. Such a blessing for a very important year.
Not too much else going on to speak of. A back to school party at sela's school with bouncy houses and big slides. Rollin was way under the height limit for everything but we talked our way through it and he spent two hours charming older kids for cuts in line. He's a funny boy.
Nina is having a good time at preschool. But I have to be honest. Her preschool drive is killing me. I am having huge regrets about not putting her somewhere closer to my house. I hate the drive and it just destroys the day for me. This sounds harsh and whiney, and it is, but it's the way I feel. If I didn't love Mrs. Judy, we would not be doing it. I was up in the air about what I would do with Rollin next year, but these first few weeks have sealed the deal. It's a bit sad in a way because we do love Mrs. Judy and Rollin is crazy about the preschool, but I can't do it another year. Driving back and forth sucks the life and energy out of me like nothing else can.
We made lots of homemade playdough this week to keep them busy while I try and get a few things done in the morning. They have spent hours and hours playing with it. We even got a little fancy and scented them with some citrus oils I have. I have some major cleanup each day, but it's a small price to pay to have them occupied for a bit.
We've enjoyed lots of comfort food this week (trying to get out of the funk I'm in) beginning with Lentil Sloppy Joes (one of my favorite meals!), tomato soup with white cheddar melts, Parmesan chicken, and Portobello Mushroom Ruebens YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today we are blessed with another gorgeous sunny day and the promise of a few more. That's something to be thankful for this time of year.

4 comments:
I miss those cute kids of yours! Tell them all hello. We have some postcards to send, the days just pass without writing them! Will you please email the recipe for your homemade playdough? If I can find the ingredients I would love to make it to keep Ceci busy while trying to teach the other girls! Darcie
Wow, that fabric is really gorgeous. I love all those colors!! Fabulous find. Isn't esty cool? I keep hoping to find something, maybe I should look at the pillows...
Well, you are quite the mother and you look so good doing it all too :) It is only natural to feel out of sorts once in a while.
I can't wait to see your new table and orange chairs, so cool! Oh and post a picture of the estate sale couch when it is finished :) We miss you all here. Camilla thinks every girl with short hair in any picture is "Nina" :)
I know what you mean about longing for the good old summer days. Life sure gets busy and it feels like you are missing something critical when you are hopping from thing to thing. Josh's preschool is only 10 minutes away and I dislike the drive too! Hope this deadline comes soon so you can have Zig home again. And I love that fabric. It is lovely! I am excited to see how you pull it together in your decor, make sure to post pictures. Oh, and I think you just need to publish a cookbook, because your food ideas always make my tummy growl!
love the fabric...way to go! A deal is a deal, so glad you found it!
Post a Comment