This weekend we went to a retirement party for Zig's former boss at Microsoft. He has been with Microsoft since almost the very beginning and is just an amazing person. He will now be running the Gates Foundation, hardly retirement. There were some tributes given and a hilarious roast with lots of dancing videos and photos from his 27 years at Microsoft... all of which were highly entertaining and even motivational. Both Bill and Steve teared up when talking about their time spent together with Jeff. They have quite a history. Not something you often see. His family was all there and it was just a wonderful evening.
There were so many things to reflect on as we drove home last night. Seeing someone at the end of their career (their first career, that is), and the themes that emerged about his life and relationships with his family and those he worked with, you couldn't help but feel inspired. Steve Ballmer made a good point when he said most people should count themselves lucky if they can count on one hand five people (excluding family) who would be there for them no matter what, through thick and thin. He said the reverse is true of Jeff...how hundreds of people would probably pick him as one of their "five people." His life can be measured by how many people count on him and call him friend.
At one point early in the evening, we started visiting with Bill Gates. We were discussing the foundation and some of its large goals when we got on the topic of nuclear energy. He apparently has a plan for nuclear energy that's new and different than any approach before. I have to say, I was totally blown away at his knowledge. Blown away. It was something to behold, truly. I've heard Zig talk about his breadth and depth of knowledge and how quickly he can get up to speed on topics that it takes other very smart people much longer to understand even at a surface level. He is known for being pretty direct at Microsoft and will tell the most senior people their ideas are stupidest thing he's ever heard without hesitation. Several people attested to this last night. Zig has seen it done many times and has "felt the love" himself on occasion. Apparently, as Jeff mentioned last night, that's actually a good thing he finds your ideas even worth responding to. How comforting ;)
After talking (and listening, a lot) to him for more than half an hour, I witnessed his intellectual capacity for myself. His passion for knowledge is so clearly what drives him and it's in his blood. The man takes online classes at MIT to help him understand subjects he is trying to grasp at the deepest level, like nuclear energy. Right now he does that, for fun. And you kind of get the impression that there is nothing he would rather do more. He was so excited talking about his energy idea to Zig, Gurdeep and I (while I was trying to remember the difference between protons and neutrons, ha!) that he started rocking back and forth very quickly while he spoke. There is no one like him. I have no doubt in the next decade or so, he will change the world in very BIG ways. 60 billion dollars and a mind like his coupled with all the best and brightest minds in the world collaborating to tackle the world's most pressing and complex social/economic issues. It will be fascinating to watch.
Now I think I will go read a book. I think my brain might have some untapped potential and could use a little stretching!
spaghetti aglio e olio
2 days ago
5 comments:
Wow, thinks for sharing!!
Talk about need brainpower! That is "thanks" for sharing. Oh, boy, pitiful. Dad and I are a little exhausted but edified as yesterday and today were filled with sitting at the feet of an apostle, Elder Dallin H. Oaks and what an experience. Dad will share through e-mail some of the special stories and advice.
Yea,I need some brain exercise as well. I'm glad you shared your experience. I would've done anything just to see ole' Bill rocking back and forth...cool! It's also comforting to know he's working towards other means for nuclear energy.
P.S. I had John read this and he LOVED all the details. I'll probably make Jason read it as well...he'd dig it!
that would have been a treat!
Post a Comment