Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to school

Today I had such mixed feelings about school starting. It's always exciting to begin a new school year, to get organized and back to somewhat of a schedule. I do love fall. I love the food, the crisp weather, the leaves, the holidays. Our apples trees are loaded and the leaves are just barely beginning to turn. There is so much to look forward to. I just wasn't ready for summer to end, and I sure missed my little Sela today. We all took her to school and she was pretty quiet on the way and looked like she was deep in thought. I took a picture of her while we were at a stop light and she didn't even notice. I think she was a little nervous...new teacher, new classmates, being in class with 3rd graders. But whatever worries she felt must have been washed away when she was practically tackled by her friends. Treela gave her a big squeeze and off they went. Rollin practically jumped into her arms to try and accompany her to the playground.

We stayed home all day and lucky for Nina, our neighbors were home because they hadn't started their schools yet. She perked up when she heard them calling out her secret "Alonee" name over the fence. They were making mud pies, cupcakes and cookies in no time.

When Sela came home, the kids went over to our neighbors, the Glovers, to swim. Then back to our yard for more mud creations...this is their current obsession. They've made some really beautiful pies out of mud and flowers and all sorts of things from our yards. At one point in the afternoon, she walked over to me on the porch where I was reading mail and she had tears in her eyes. She said something had hit her on the head and it really hurt. I just gave her a hug and while I was hugging her she started to cry and said "Mom, it was just a hard day. A long day." She just needed a shoulder to cry on so I rocked her on the porch and we talked about how the first few days feel long, but then as you get into a routine, the days seem to go by much faster. She agreed and said everything else was great about school and her teacher was SO nice. She had a little snack and was back to play.

Later in the evening, Taylor, Jessie, and Alaina (the triplet 9 year olds who live behind us) came over to play a bit. I asked Taylor how she liked school and they all replied in unison, "IT WAS LONG!" They said it was good, but it seemed to take "forever!!!" They all commiserated with one another and I could see the relief on Sela's face. She wasn't the only one.

I finally summoned them in for Sela's special back to school meal, homemade chicken noodle soup, and everyone had a good bath. Rollin and Nina went right to sleep. Sela and I stayed up a bit later. I was cleaning while she told me about all the endangered animals she had been reading about and how she wants to get a "food job" so she can donate her money to save them. Her first animal to save is the Mexican Grey Fox. When I finaly tucked her in, I asked her what her favorite thing that happened today was and she said, "coming home." I couldn't agree more.







5 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Oh, Ashley, I am crying right now after reading about Sela's day and especially seeing the picture you took of her staring out the window. If it weren't for the love you and Zig have created in the home, she wouldn't feel so sad so I guess it is a good thing! The best thing about the whole day? "Coming Home!" WOW tear jerker for softie Granny! Give her a hug from me and one for Nina and Rollie Boo as well! Love to all!

Erin said...

makes home schooling that much more appealing ;) sweet little Sela.

Erin said...

in a few days though she probably won't even look back though! i'm sure she will love it here shortly.

Susan said...

haha...I agree with erin!especially the other day when i went to drop my youngest sister off at high school and saw all those kids walking around.... I think homeschooling sounds great! Especially if we were here in miami. We'll see what texas brings.

Shenise said...

Sela is in the 3rd grade...Wow! What reassurance to know her favorite part of the day was coming back to her family! Sounds like you are doing a good job mom! So glad to know that your home has the greatest impact in her young life. I know it always will.