Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chocolate Mint Truffles

Last year Zig and I went to Poppy for the first time and we had some amazing chocolate mint infused ice cream. Neither of us are huge ice cream people, but the server convinced us to try the ice cream. He was right, it was pretty special. So of course, the next Saturday, I sent Zig out on a chocolate mint run and we planted some in the herb garden. Well, nearly 9 months later and it has spread like crazy, as all mint does, and I decided it was time to start experimenting.

Photobucket
I sent Nina out for 6 big sprigs of chocolate mint.

Photobucket
We brought the cream to a gentle boil, immersed the chocolate mint leaves in the cream, and removed it from the heat to steep.

Photobucket
Then we chopped some dark chocolate.

Photobucket
After about 30 minutes, I removed the mint leaves and reheated the cream and added it to the chocolate.

Photobucket
We let that sit for a minute and then gave it a whirl to make a chocolate ganache.

Photobucket
After the ganache firmed up (about 2 hours), we scooped little balls and rolled them in cocoa. These are what I would call rustic truffles, I didn't fuss about making perfect little balls or even making them the same size. They all taste the same going down, and they are amazing with a very strong mint flavor.

2 comments:

Amber Marie said...

YUM! Um, need a nanny?!

Colleen said...

Ooooh! That looks delish!