It's been a big week for Sela. She finished a track season full of rained out meets yesterday with a 2nd place finish at the Junior Olympics. If you remember her big competition in the cross country final in the fall,then you will understand that 2nd place is still a big accomplishment. She actually came pretty close this year and the race was tight at the end. The other girl had legs about twice as long as Sela (just a slight exaggeration ;) and she ran like a gazelle. Sela ran her heart out and was very nervous the whole day.
What I love most about track and cross country is the comraderie between the kids of all grades. They have such school spirit and are so supportive of one other. It's really quite special. They have an amazing PE coach who is truly one of a kind. Hollywood Hill is a small elementary and they haven't lost a track meet in 34 years (that's how long he's been at the school). None of us are quite sure what Mr. Ed Hogle does but he has a passion for the job and instills such confidence in the kids. He whispered something to Sela when she was lining up for her race and afterwards Zig and I were asking Sela what he told her. She said he gave her a few pointers and then said get to the inside as fast as you can and do your best, buddy. So sweet.
(In the craziness of the day, both Sela and I thought the other had brought the track uniform, and neither of us had.)


The third graders each do a presentation on a country in the Pacific Rim and Sela had Vietnam. Fortunately, our friend, Ti Haynes, had all kinds of clothing, money, books, and information about Vietnam. Sela was in a group with 2 boys who goof off a little bit, so I was proud of her for taking charge. Together they managed to pull off a sound presentation. I went back to Chinatown in Seattle the day before and found a little Vietnamese market for some authentic food to share. Ti told me about this red rice they serve at weddings and other special occasions and we picked some up to share. The rice was so yummy. I think it's cooked with a fruit to color the rice and also coconut milk. Whatever it was, it was good!



At the school auction, which we had to miss, they auctioned off a bedtime stories party with the much loved Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Esping. We were able to get a spot even though we weren't there and this week the party took place. A finer, more wonderful Kindergarten teacher could not be found. Mrs. Esping is exceptional and the kids had a fabulous time playing games, listening to stories, and eating ice cream sundaes.






The family who hosted this event raises Alpacas and two babies were just born. Are they not the cutest things ever?!!


We had a wet field trip to a beautiful farm in Snohomish. It was important for Nina that I chaperone so Zig was able to watch Evan and I had fun being with Nina. There were so many parent volunteers that I was just in charge of Nina and one friend. It's been a wet spring here, but I'm trying not to dwell on it too much.
4 comments:
Ashley, I just love the way you do things. The Viet Nam presentation looked so informational and well done. Congrats to Sela! And those llamas, I want one!
Annette Trepanier
Fun pictures! Way to go Sela, and what a fun bedtime story party, Nina. I love the treehouse and its endless climbing possibilities...nice work.
whew, you are a busy mommy!! i remember the field trips my mom or dad were able to go on with me. it made it so special to spend one on one time with them and it was fun to have them around my friends.
i just love looking at all the trees and beautiful flowers in your pictures!
We love reading your blog, your family is so fun-loving, and the area is just beautiful.
Wow, that is quite the week! Your kids are so cute! And so accomplished:). And reading about Poppy's! It sounds amazing, not to mention your own dishes. My mouth is still watering... This is Erin Ricker, from the valley. Aislinn told me about your blog and that you guys live near Seattle. My family and I are moving to the Seattle area this summer from Poland, and I wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions. You know, since you have so much time and all ;)
First and most important question: Will you include me on the list for your favorite soups collection, please? Also, if you happen to know of any good realtors who deal with rentals, could you pass me his/her name?
My email address is: erinprs@yahoo.com
If you can find the time that is, if not, it's totally understandable :0)
Thanks for posting such fun family activities and everything!
Post a Comment