Friday, June 11, 2010

Issaquah Kids Triathlon

It's a good thing we had so much fun at the Issaquah Kids Triathlon this weekend, because I'm still doing laundry from the race. Zig and I were up till past midnight getting all their stuff together and packing the car. Bathing suits, bikes, helmets, towels, change of clothes, flip flops and running shoes, snacks, timing chips and numbers. There was a huge downpour on Friday so the course was a muddy mess. That made it all the more fun for the kids, and more of a challenge for the adult races. Our shoes were sopping wet before we ever began our races. But, the SUN did shine! I did a 5K at the last minute and Lisa ran the 10K. My neck and back have been really sore lately so I wasn't sure if I would be able to do anything but I felt fine for the short run. Zig has some problem with his foot so he didn't run at all this time.

SWIM: Here are the kids pre-race checking the water temp.
Photobucket

They all got anxious and excited waiting.
Photobucket

Sela out of the water
Photobucket

Then Nina in the next heat. Poor girl, not an ounce of fat on that body to keep her warm.
Photobucket

Rollin not listening to instructions. He just followed the crowd during the swim (tried to get as little water on himself as possible) and got busy when it came to the bike portion.
Photobucket
Where's my bike?!
Photobucket

BIKE: The kids were all in different heats so it was hard to keep track. Zig had to stay in the transition area until they all got to the run portion so I was trying to snap pictures and cheer them all on.




Rollin had the eye of the tiger. He gave this part his all!


Photobucket

He did well on not getting frustrated if people passed him (we had lots of talks about this on the drive over!), but he was not even near the back of the pack. He was the youngest competitor by 2 years.
Photobucket

RUN: The last part was the run. They were all happy to pass the finish line and receive medals, because I'm pretty sure they'd do almost anything for a medal! And then of course, all the goodies were fun as well. We lost Rollin for 20 minutes because he kept going after the finish line. He ran across the park back to the transition site where no one was waiting. I think he wanted back on his bike.

Nina ran hard and always looked like she was enjoying herself and really focusing!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

































Last, and definitely LEAST, I ran the 5K because, well, why not. It was a swampy,soggy, muddy course, but after getting over the inital feel of running with shoes full of mud and slosh, it was fun and a good start to the day. Lisa, a real runner, rocked in the 10K. We all had a GREAT time!


4 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

AWESOME! I love the determination on the kid's faces, and on yours too! Way to go Ash!

Colleen said...

That is SO cool! I love that they have one for the kids. I bet your kids were in happiness heaven.

Dee Ann said...

Way to go little Serafins and Mom! Rollin's expression kills me. He is so intense!! Nina's bathing suit is sooo cute and Sela's running form is very unique!! Loved all of it!!

Amber Marie said...

what a cool event! good job serafin family :)