Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hollywood Hill Talent Show

Sela and Nina wrote and recited poems about dogs for the school talent show a couple weeks ago. Sela wrote her poem a few months ago, just on her own for fun. I found it in her drawer one day when I was cleaning out the kids' "special drawers" and told her how much I loved it! I'm not sure how they decided to perform these in the talent show, but Nina came up with her own cute little poem as well.

For the show, they created actions to each other's poems and while one read the poem, the other one acted it out. We were struggling to come up with a costume to wear (we could only locate one set of doggie ears in our dress-up box) and I just could not muster the energy or desire to run around all over town looking for dog paraphenalia(end of the school year fatigue)! Then I thought of my friend, Francee, from church, and her face painting skills! I called her up and even though she was leaving for San Juan Island with friends, she took the time to make a quick stop at our house on the way to the ferry to work her magic and transform Sela and Nina into little puppies. She was AMAZING and even promised Rollin she would come back and turn him into a big scary dinosaur when she had a little bit more time! She doesn't know, but she truly saved the day.

Sela and Nina were so excited with their look and had fun greeting Zig at the door when he came home. The talent show was so fun. There was a good variety of talent, both serious and silly, and all the kids both in the show and in the audience were so supportive of one another. There were a couple of times throughout the night were you could tell a child either forgot words to a song or got flustered and it was the students who immediately started either chanting their name, yelling encouragement, or clapping. It was really sweet to see.

During the intermission, everyone did the YMCA, and all the kids ran up on stage, those who performed and those in the audience. The place was rockin! What a fun evening! Ruff, ruff.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


A Dog’s Heart
By Sela Serafin

All we hear every day
Is the silly words that you humans say.
These words are boring
And not so fun
When you say sit, we want to run.
DOWN! STAY! SIT! ROLLOVER!
It’s time for some new words
I’m getting bored of those!
I understand a lot more than you think
For I am a dog and I have a heart.
I have feelings too, I don’t just bark.
When you talk to me from now on
Make it interesting and let’s have fun!

My Little Puppy
By Nina Serafin

I have a little puppy
He’s no bigger than my hand
Some people think he can’t do tricks
But I know that he can
He can sit, rollover, and even stand
But his favorite place is in my little hands.

3 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

wooooooow! i think that those poems
were perfesional! are you sure sela
and nina wrote them?

adele sais:"you did a good job."

ceci sais:"good job i think that was
GREAT!"

love,tennie,ceci,adele!

Dee Ann said...

I know for fact that the girls wrote the poems. They have grown up being creative little doggies themselves - love those animals!! They spend many hours begging for the four legged animals so I guess they just had to be puppies for a night!! Sympathy pains!

Erin M said...

I love their creative little minds :)