I had actually begged the girls to have their birthday parties in January to simplify the holidays just a bit. Sela was reluctant, but agreed. That's a whole extra month of waiting for her.
But last Wednesday I picked her up from her art class and apparently the topic of her birthday had came up. Even though Sela knew she wasn't having a party right away, she has still seemed very excited about turning 9 and talks about it several times each day. She even made her own paper chain to count down. She has asked me what time she was born over and over. I could only remember that it was dark.
Anyway Suzie, her teacher, commented on Sela's Golden birthday and how neat it was that she was turning NINE on the NINTH of Two Thousand NINE. I acted like I was aware of the fact, but I wasn't! I guess I knew the 9 on the 9th part. But even the year lined up this time. All I had been thinking about with regards to her turning nine was that up until this birthday, Sela had more years left at home before leaving for college than years she had lived with us, if that makes sense. Now we are at that midpoint. 9 years with Mom and Dad. 9 to go. And I have to say, that thought is HUGELY depressing to me. Devastating even. And everyone says that once they are teenagers it goes even faster. I don't like it. But back to happy thoughts.
As we were leaving the class, Suzie asked if we were going to Disneyland to celebrate this once in a lifetime birthday? She was kidding, of course, but it did get me re-considering postponing the party until January.
That evening I rushed the kids to bed, and got right on the phone planning a surprise party for December 9th! And a suprise party was actually an idea that, despite the added stress, I could really get excited about! Pulling it off would be harder.
We invited 14 of Sela's friends. And what are the chances that 14 little girls can keep a secret for a week? Well, somehow, they did!
It went down like this. Sela had art class again so she was gone from 8:30am until 5:30pm on Wednesday. Everyone arrived on time and we hid up in the tree house. Zig went to pick up Sela. The girls decorated a banner and and had hot apple cider while we waited. We had the little heater cranking because it has been FREEZING lately. I think it may have been in the teens last night. Definitely 20's.


Zig told Sela we had reservations at a new Mexican restaurant. He called me and they were two minutes away. Tons of screaming. Excitement. And then quiet.
these kids were hiding on the back porch and look like they were freezing!Zig told Sela that a big present had come in the mail and that Rollin and Nina were in the tree house trying to open it. She booked it up there and SURPRISE! Kids came from all over. The loft, the porch, behind the daybed. Everywhere. So much fun. She was totally surprised!
< 

I served the girls Sela's favorite meal (and apparently MANY others as well), Homemade Chicken Noodle soup.


We headed to the house to play a game. I filled four bags with random props from around the house, divided the girls into four groups and sent them to four different areas of the house to prepare a skit using the props. They had ten minutes to prepare. We met back in the living room where the skits were performed and enjoyed. They loved this activity...much more than I thought they would. Tons of silliness and laughter. It was LOUD all night long.


This group prepared in my room, and as I look at this photo, they must have raided my closet! Oh boy. 
After the skits, we had desserts. I made a dessert bar of NINE desserts for the golden child. They were all bite-sized and I only made a couple myself. The rest were from PCC and Trader Joes.






Evan had lots of admirers!
Sela opened presents and read all of her cards. Then the kids were off to round 2 of skits and the parents started arriving.



Nina and I made t-shirts for party favors. We used one of Sela's latest drawings.


It was wonderful party! Zig and I got a kick out of watching the girls and all of their excitement and energy. Sela was so appreciative and was on cloud NINE all night long. She must have thanked me twenty times. She said it was definitely "the best day of my life. ever!" After the last guest left, she promptly got out one of her new journals and filled four pages with the details. I love my little golden girl!
9 comments:
Wow! Are you the best Mom ever!!!?
The details of the party made me cry. Tears of joy for your darling little girl. What a beautiful memory for her! Patrick and Lisa's daughter, Eliza, is 11 today! Lisa is doing an ice skating party on Fri. Thanks for the wonderful birthday story! Annette
Um, yes. the best mom. ever! what a cool party. i am so shocked that girls that age kept it so secret!!
happy birthday sela girl!
I am remembering the night you were born. Baby, it was cold outside with snow fluries. There was a sweet spirit permeating the hospital room as we all awaited your arrival. You have been a blessing to us from that day forward and we love you, Sela. You deserve a day of gold!! Good job, Mom!!
Happy Birthday sweet Sela! I remember the day you entered this world very well. We were so excited for your arrival. I cried for your dear mom who birthed you naturally and then had to have a D&C afterward. She was a trooper and you were as calm as could be. Such a cuddly little baby. I still remember them giving you a little bath. I also remember your mother giving you little massages and oh how you loved it! So many sweet memories Sela. I want to cry thinking about them :( You are growing up too fast. We love you dearly girl and wish we could have been there to surprise you. :)
oh, and way to go Ash for pulling it off! I love the art/t-shirts, so cute. What a fun party :)
Awesome.
How cool! What a wonderful mommy you are to pull that all together at the last minute. Sela is lucky to have you! How did you do those t-shirts? What a great idea! I guess we are waiting until the 13th birthday for Zach's "golden." And yes, I agree, 9 down 9 to go absolutely sucks.
yay! ashley, you are amazing. i loved that. it was so happy, and she will never forget that! and i loved the shirts. i want one!:) hope all is well with you and your beautiful family and you guys are enjoying the holidays! miss seeing you!
love,
britt davis barney
(geoff and darcis sister)
Oh yes, the "Golden Gate" Birthday is what we called them! So glad you decided to surprise her, she'll always remember her 9th birthday and what fun parents you are to throw such a fun party!
The details of the party were just perfect...from the chicken noodle soup to the t-shirts(so cool)!
Happy Birthday to you Sela! Do you know what a lucky girl you are to have a mama like yours? I know she understands how lucky she is to have a daughter like you!
Post a Comment