Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Advent Day 6: Ornaments

Receiving a special ornament that highlights an interest, accomplishment, or hobby from the past year is a favorite advent activity for the kids. One might wonder what could possibly go wrong when all involved in this activity is opening a small,highly anticipated gift. Plenty, apparently.

I don't have time to write about ALL the dramatics that occurred, but suffice it to say this evening ended in tears, actually complete hysterics would be a better term.

Each of the kids loved their ornaments. I had a hard time finding a cross country ornament for Sela, so hers was pretty simple, but she thought it was wonderful. I searched all over the internet to find Rollin a little yellow bike ornament since he taught himself to ride without training wheels at the beginning of the summer. And he, too, was thrilled. Nina's tennis ball is pink with real Swarovski crystals..perfectly Nina. I'm still searching for Evan's.

After enjoying his ornament for a good thirty seconds, Rollin decided to do a stunt with his bike and threw it on the floor. Never mind I told him it was breakable several times. Upon realizing that his biker was no longer attached to the bike, and the bike seat was across the room, he started to sob. It was actually pretty sad because he had been SO excited for his little yellow bike. Then I saw a tiny wrapped object near the box his ornament had come in and for a moment I thought it might be a tiny trinket they sent with the bike that would cheer Rollin up. So I opened it. Just as I was pulling the tissue back, I saw Nina fall to the floor and then the wailing began. I soon discovered that this was a present she had wrapped up for someone and put under the tree. Nina takes gifts and surprises very seriously. And things just spiraled downward from there. I was upset with Rollin not listening. Sela was upset Rollin "ruined the night." Nina was upset I opened her special surprise. Nina was upset at Sela for saying it was lame to wrap up gifts that already belong to the person the gift is intended for. And Evan was upset at all the noise. There was no love at home ;)

I tried to salvage the night by reading a Christmas story and hanging the bike-less biker from the tree. These things don't always go as planned, but I think in years to come we can look at the crazy guy with no bike and remember Rollin and all his exuberance.




5 comments:

Erin M said...

That is hilarious! I had to laugh the entire time because it is usually reality with these little ones! I loved Elder Bednar's talk on just being consistent even though it might not seem that you are doing much good or getting anywhere. I have thought of his talk many times as I've planned something special and it ends up being awful! Just today I did a little calendar activity out of the Friend magazine with Naomi and Jude and Jude ripped off the piece of paper that Moriah had just taped up...lots of tears!

Erin M said...

I meant Moriah and Jude...Naomi is screaming at me so I can't think at the moment ;)

Amber Marie said...

That is too funny and totally reminds me of my family growing up. I've recently wondered how my mom never burst into tears with the things that went on in our home!

A good story for later years :)

the Geoff Davis said...

Rollins face is classic in that picture, and I can imagine the drama...as it is so familiar. My kids get so high strung in anticipation of opening gifts that it doesn't take much for a meltdown. Ahhh...Christmas.

Dee Ann said...

I love blogs like this one because they strike a cord with everyone who has ever had kiddoes except mine of course!!! Thank goodness for memory loss.