Wednesday, May 11, 2011

snacktime

Heidi Swanson's new cookbook, Super Natural Every Day, arrived a couple of weeks ago amidst a very jam packed string of days. I was dying to sit down with the cookbook and read every page. Her cookbooks are so beautiful and interesting. Finally I just quickly flipped through and the first recipe that caught my eye was the most unexpected combination. It was a coconut-kale salad, two of my favorite foods. I knew I had to make it right away, and it was so, so good. I've made it again and again. I don't even get to the adding the grains part...I just eat the roasted coconut/kale by the handfuls. It's a great snack!

Photobucket
chop kale..I used two varieties.
Photobucket
Get some unsweetened large flaked coconut
Photobucket
Toss together in a bowl with some tamari, sesame oil, and olive oil. (I used a little soyaki since I was out of sesame oil)
Photobucket
spread it out and roast at 350 until the coconut starts to brown and the kale begins to crisp.
Photobucket
From this point you can serve this mixed with a grain like farro or quinoa.....or not.
Photobucket
I got such a kick out of Evan gobbling this stuff up. Another lesson not to assume kids won't like certain foods!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Next up: white bean spread with rosemary and toasted almonds!

7 comments:

Amber Marie said...

first off- is there really anything your kids won't eat? and second, i'm not so sure about this one :) ryan still can't get past the sweet potato and black bean enchiladas!

ashley said...

it's good, amber, I promise. come visit, I'll make it for you.

and it's time for ryan's taste buds to grow up ;)

Erin said...

Ok, remember the roasted "kale chips" I made?! Sounds very similar...maybe my tastebuds can't handle roasted kale??? Let me know if you think I should give this one a go! I'm a bit hesitant ;)

ashley said...

well, I do think these are different than the kale chips, although I never made those after you told me how sick they were. I think the dressing on this concoction is what makes it so good. I gave some to my friend Lilian when she dropped off Rollin from preschool (help me out if you're out there, Lilian!), and she thought it was awesome too. Her kids also ate it. I do think the splash of soyaki helped because it also has sesame seeds so that added even more texture.

Larry said...

I'm sure you know that the above comment is from Mom via Dad's computer!!

Larry said...

All I can say is, "WOW!" Evie is sooo adorable. He looks like a boy instead of a little toddler these days. It must be the hair cut as it hasn't been too long since I was rocking him to sleep. Such a cuddle bunny!!

Lilian said...

Ha, Ha Ashley, Shout out to me. Got it.
Erin,I loved this recipe! I made it twice in one week and the only thing that is made twice in one week is anything with chocolate, butter and a lot of sugar.