Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend

Last weekend, the girls and I headed to the Seattle Art Museum to see the Nick Cave Exhibit.What a cool exhibit, especially for children. The materials and textures and color used to create this incredible art from recycled materials was really quite impressive. What a feast for the eyes! My only fear is that the girls might try to emulate Nick on a smaller scale and start saving all kinds of nicknacks and junk otherwise headed to the recycle bin or Goodwill! And I just finished some serious household purging...

Photobucket

Photobucket
Of course they liked this exhibit of a mouse standing on a man in his bed.
Photobucket
We couldn't take pictures of the Nick Cave works because it's the feature exhibition, but for anyone with kids in the Seattle area, it is so worth seeing!
Photobucket
Afterward, we just had to walk down to Pike Place Market for some donuts.
Photobucket

The week before Mother's Day, Sela would head to the computer using every spare minute she had. She would cover both she and the computer with a blanket and work on something very top secret. On Sunday evening, she gathered everyone in the living room and gave a little Mother's Day tribute and played her movie.  It included music, pictures, video, interviews. I was blown away. I do not know how to do what she did. We watched it several times and wow, what a labor of love! I was touched beyond words. 

Photobucket
Well, this photo is about ten seconds after we walked in the door from church, and the kids are in various stages of undress and silliness....Rollin somehow managed to do a complete outfit change...impressive. But these are the four little people who make this day so special for me. I don't need gifts or recognition on Mother's Day, although  I certainly appreciate all the sweet little homemade gifts created with such love and presented with so much excitement. Sela, Nina, Rollin, and Evan are my gifts today and every day.  I'm so happy to be sharing the best years of  my life with them. I love you little monkeys!!!


 And I'm so thankful for my own Mom who loves my kids like her own and is a constant support and example in my life. When I think of my mom, I think of her laugh.  I know she would drop everything at a moment's notice to help me or any of my siblings in any way, and she has many times. I know she would do anything in the world for me, and I've known that ever second of my 35 years on this earth. Now that is a mother worth celebrating. I love you, Mom!

And after this miserable Spring in Seattle, I'm truly regretting not joining you guys in Costa Rica this month. I think I'm beginning to mold here.

5 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

What a great day celebrating one of the best moms I know! Those kiddies are so lucky to have you.

Larry said...

Thank you, Ashley! What kind words. I love you, Mom

Shenise said...

Sela is such a thoughtful and technical girl! Love that she covered herself and the computer while working on your gift! I noticed that she sits with her legs crossed and feet positioned just like her mama! :)

Happy Mother's Day!

Ketsy said...

You came to the city! I am going to need to check out the SAM this month.
And this sunshine makes me think of you. Hope you are enjoying it!

Erin said...

That was way cute what Sela did! I love it! Glad you had a great mother's day! (When we were at church Moriah leaned over to me and said, "Mom, what is mother's day?!")