Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

I'm a little late on this post, but we tried some new dishes for Cinco de Mayo. I love any excuse to make Mexican food and also to try new recipes, so even though the fact that the Mexicans defeated the French in a battle in the mid 1800s has little to do with us, I still like to celebrate. Plus, I practically grew up in Mexico, that should count for something. Zig was out of town this year on the 5th so it was just the kids and I (and Kona who scored on the leftovers). I made Chicken with Chilaquiles and Salsa Verde and also Jicama-Melon Salad. I had fun using my mandolin and making perfect little matchsticks out of the jicama. Those things make me so nervous even with the guard. I swear I'm going to slice a fingertip off one day! I thought about attempting homemade churros, but we had a busy day and I was lucky to get what I did on the table. The kids would have been so stoked had I made the churros, but I didn't, and luckily there's always next year!

 Photobucket Chilaquiles

Photobucket

Photobucket Jicama-Melon Salad (plus mangoes & minus the pomegranate seeds which are out of season but would have made the salad so pretty).

3 comments:

Zig Serafin said...

Yummmmm! Glad I got the leftovers ;-)

Amber Marie said...

That looks SO good! Love getting recipes that you've tried. I meant to say the kale and coconut does look like it would be delicious with a grain, I'm just not sure about eating it plain :)

You are so good about doing something for holidays. That is something I am going to try to do better at.

Erin said...

I love me some good chili quilles ;)