Saturday, October 23, 2010

why moms don't nap

Friday morning I played tennis and when I came home at noon, our sitter asked if Rollin could go play at her house for the afternoon. They live on a Christmas tree farm and I knew Rollin would enjoy playing over there, so off they went. Once they left I toyed with either running some errands or taking a nap. I was just dragging because Zig and I have been burning the midnight oil lately working on some stuff. Anyway, I went for the nap. I know, shocking that I chose a nap over taking Evan, the shrieker, grocery shopping :)

Unfortunately, Evan had his nice long nap while I was playing tennis so we went to he and Rollin's room and I just closed the door hoping he'd be content to play for 20 minutes. I got the blocks down and a few other toys and laid down on the bed. Evan was, not surprisingly, totally uninterested in the toys, but very interested in mauling me. Climbing on me, sitting on my head and trying to pry open my eyelids made my attempted nap quite the event for him. Finally he became focused on something on the floor and I started to drift off. Then I was jarred back to reality with a big thunk followed by screaming and tears. I think he got on the bed and fell off and hit the train table somehow. Just from the sound of the impact followed by the hurt cry I knew there would either be a huge bump or blood.

There was blood. There are only three pieces of furniture in the boys' room. A train table, a crib and a bed. No lamps, dressers, sharp edges, etc. This is for a reason. I picked Evan up and blood was coming out of his mouth, and lots of it. I could tell he cut his lip inside so I began nursing him which usually helps the bleeding stop. I couldn't tell how bad his cut was because his mouth was full of blood, however, when he stopped nursing and spit out a part of his lip, I became squeamish. And concerned. And mildly freaked out. I am horrible with this kind of stuff. Heaven forbid something really serious ever happens. We moved our party to the bathtub which I knew would calm him down and fortunately the bleeding quickly slowed down. I saw the gash inside his front lip and felt relief that it didn't need stitches and was already coming together. But it was big. Now he is sporting an Angelina Jolie lip, at least half of one. A not so subtle reminder of what a stellar mom I am.




I guess I get why people say "nap when the baby naps" rather than "nap when you have a crazy monkey on the loose." I'm thinking those playpens of yesteryear aren't such a bad idea. And I still need a nap.

5 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

Oh man, Ash. Wanting a nap that badly and not getting it is torturous! Luckily Evan still had his teeth!

Love the pumpkins!

Dee Ann said...

Ash, you are too funny! I had to chuckle at your commentary on the whole episode. At first I thought there was going to be some big spider or creature on the floor that took a bite out of some part of Evan's body!! What made you think you could sleep with Evan on the loose?! I am sure it was wishful thinking. I am remembering the time when we put Rollin down for a nap and the next thing we knew, he was escaping out the window!! You and Zig have a knack for creating energetic little creatures with creative imaginations!! Vaulting frogs, etc.! Sooo sorry sleep did not come - as usual!! Hope tonight brings better results!!

Erin said...

I'm impressed you even tried! Hope you get caught up soon.

Sorry about little Jolie!

Amber Marie said...

oh man, well i won't even begin the laundry list of times camilla was hurt under my supervision! and to be honest...dane fell off the bed today. thankfully his crib is in and we can hopefully set it up tomorrow! as moms we do the best we can and then we just need to roll with whatever comes :)

Dee Ann said...

What, Dane fell off the bed?!! He must be scooting significantly these days!! At least there is carpet - makes for a softer landing!!