

Sela and Morgan

Jasmine, Gracie, Morgan, Annie and Sela...such a fun group of girls!
I played my first competitive singles match in 16 years on Friday. And let me just tell you how wierd it feels to say 16 YEARS! How is that even possible? Where has the time gone? I still feel like I'm 25. Erin and I were talking about that on the phone this week. She feels much the same way. I remember my last high school singles match like it was yesterday and now I have four kids and I life I could not have imagined back then. Never would have thought I'd be (somewhat) settled in Washington for sure. It's all strange even to think about. But anyway, back to the tennis. I kind of got thrown in at the last minute to play on a Cup team this year. But that's another story. My first match took place on Friday and it was really tough. No one warned me, but apparently this lady was a 5.0 and one of the top players. We had a close match, but I was behind at the buzzer so the win went to my opponent. I really did not expect to lose, I don't know why, but I was way too tentative, played it safe, and she made me pay. But it was awesome to be competing again. And I'd definitely rather play hard players because that is the quickest way to get back to my game. I was dripping with sweat at the end...I could have wrung out my clothes, and to be able to get that kind of workout at something I love, well, I'm pretty stoked about that. My teammates are great women, they play hard, but they don't take it too serious. They have lives and kids and balance and are just playing for fun. They're all business on the court, but all laughs afterwards. I lucked out because at this level not all teams are like that, some take it WAY too seriously.
Aside from playing tennis a few times this week, I stayed home a lot during the day. I tried to prepare meals in the morning so our evenings would go smoother and that was very helpful. I took some time to read. I have a huge stack of books beside my bed calling my name. I carted the kids around in the afternoon, but because I had lots of downtime in the morning, I wasn't too worn out. Here's what we had for dinner:
Monday: Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad
Tuesday: Wild Rice Cherry Soup
Wednesday: Sengalese Peanut Soup (recipe coming)
Thursday: Crisp Black Bean Tacos with feta and slaw
Friday: Goat Cheese Ravioli with Tomato Sauce
Saturday: Tomato Goat Cheese Crostini (my favorite summer meal)
Sunday: Grilled Salmon, Greek salad, and potatoes
For family night, we made Eclairs before Sela taught the lesson. Sela has been wanting to learn how to make them since she had one at a bakery this summer. Rollin and I made the dark chocolate icing during the day and the girls and I made the filling and shells and put them all together in the evening. I'm glad it takes several steps to make these things so I won't be tempted to do it too often!

Blogger is really acting up and I'm tired of re-doing stuff so I'm going to have to cut it short tonight and prepare for the week ahead.
4 comments:
Hooray for Sela, and nice work on the court, Ash! One of my favorite memories is of you playing M.R. (name withheld to preserve dignity...) four weeks after you had Nina. You were totally out of shape and he was totally IN shape and you whooped him! I can only imagine you now after playing awhile and getting back in to the game. Maybe I'll catch you on TV at the French Open...
Congrats on your match! It's so great to have something you love so much and makes you feel so wonderful. And to do it with a bunch of ladies who play hard but don't take it too seriously is priceless. Congrats too to Sela! What an accomplishment! Yummy eclairs. :)
Way to go Sela!! What an accomplishment and those eclairs look yummie!!
I love it, the ole tennis bug has emerged! Watch out Seattle women ;) So glad you are having so much fun!
WAHOO SELA!!! I am so impressed girl!
Tried the white bean and kale soup and it was very good! Thanks!
Post a Comment