Sunday, September 12, 2010

savory breakfasts

I've been trying to add more savory breakfast ideas (preferably vegetarian) to my repetoire. Now that the kids are back in school, I am saving pancakes for the weekend and trying to curb their little sweet tooths (teeth?) to prepare for flu season and to put them in the best frame of mind for learning and staying focused. I'm also re-reading a book about cancer and there is such a huge connection between over-consumption of  sugar (even in natural forms), the immune system, and ultimately disease. I think we can all do better in this area, Zig and I included. So anyway, the point of this post is that I tried a new recipe this weekend that is a perfect easy, healthy breakfast and it fits my criteria for savory breakfasts. I don't mind spending a little extra time in the morning to prepare breakfast because it is such an important meal, but this recipe is super fast. The recipe is for Okonomiyaki, or Japanese Pizza and it disappeared in a flash! Cabbage is one vegetable that everyone in our family totally loves and the bulk of this pizza is leeks and cabbage.  It got the thumbs up from the three oldest. Evie had already eaten his peaches and eggs by the time I made the real breakfast (he's my earliest bird), but I think he would like it too. When I read some of the reader comments on 101 Cookbooks, I noticed many said this pizza is served with a sauce made of mayonaise and tamari in Japan, or at least some mayonaise/soy sauce concoction. So I mixed some tamari and mayonaise and this simple sauce did make the dish perfect. We had chives from our garden for garnish and toasted almond slices. And ours looked just like the picture on 101, only my camera is broken and had to be sent back to Nikon to hopefully be fixed. Sadness.

Anyway, I'll post more keepers as I find them. I'm on the hunt!

* I also found this recipe at Mothering with some additional ideas for Okonomiyaki.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh good! Can't wait to try this one either :)

the Geoff Davis said...

This looks delicious, and I'm always looking for good breakfast recipes. She called for a "dusting" of flour, but the recipe said 2/3 cup flour (or something). Does she mean 2/3 cup as a dusting? Thanks for passing it along.

ashley said...

yes, 2/3 cup is not quite a dusting. I thought that was funny too but that's what I used and it worked out perfectly. I'm sure you could do more egg, less flour, it would just be more like an omelet or fritatta and less like pizza. Still yummy, I'm sure.

I made it again this morning and added chopped swiss chard to the leeks and cabbage.

Jimmy and Jennifer said...

Is your book Anti-Cancer? -and if not, have you read that one? I started it (never finished though) and was FASCINATED to learn of the sugar/cancer connection. ...not to mention a lot more wary of the overuse of the white stuff here at my house. Cancer is soooo prevalent in my family; I'm trying to keep a watchful eye on what everybody in my brood eats. Thanks for sharing this recipe! By the way, when are you going to be in the Valley again? I'd love to get together like you suggested a few posts back. Let me know! :)

ashley said...

yes, jennifer. that's the book. I read it last year and started looking through it again last week.

I usually come down to the valley in April, but this year Ryan and his wife are staying in Costa Rica for a month so we are going down to visit for two weeks, in lieu of the valley trip (my parents are also going to be in Costa Rica.) But sometimes I make last minute decisions and come for s visit, so I will definitely let you know. And FOR SURE next time, we will have to meet up and you'll have to grab Christine as well :) I have the pie crust recipe, I just need to type it up. This week, promise!