

The way he found the possum is Kona had him cornered early this morning. Zig fell asleep last night without shutting the chicken coop, which is pretty much a dream come true for possums and racoons. But, alas, we do have Kona, and he takes his job as night guard VERY seriously. The possum was up against the fence and Kona was laying a few feet away standing guard, salivating. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a picture of the scene. It really looked like the possum was up against the fence under arrest. Afraid to move a muscle. Scared to death. Kona has a shock collar so he knows he can't get too close to the fence. The possum must have been terrified. Each time he tried to move, Kona let him know that his moments on this earth were numbered.
Zig asked me to distract the kids. He was afraid the opossum might have rabies and harm the chickens so he was going to "get rid" of him. I seriously did not want any further details. He took a shovel outside, and about 20 minutes later, he was calling to the kids to come see the opossum he had caught. He had somehow pushed him into a crate we had used for the chickens or Kona or something. The kids ran outside, of course, and were so happy their Dad spared the possum. Me, being the animal lover that I am, tried to muster some enthusiasm! Actually, the "ick" factor wasn't too bad. I think this was a very young one because it was quite small.
Zig drove the possum to some forest area and he and the kids set it free. And the absolutely most hilarious thing about this whole ordeal is that Zig told me "This is definitely a story you can put on your blog! Did you get any pictures?" This coming from Mr. Privacy, please don't talk about me on the blog. Either he thinks my blog is very lame (I'll agree) and needs some excitement, or this was a supremely proud moment! Forget all the other accomplishments in his life that I can't mention, he caught a freaking POSSUM!
I love you, babe!



p.s. photos by Sela
10 comments:
little oppossums are cute. we saw one in your parent's front yard a while ago while taking out the trash. but they are scary, nasty grown-ups!
glad you had a good birthday. such a great photo of you and zig!! you guys are all looking so good.
I just had to add that I know possum is often spelled with an "o" but I looked it up and saw it can be spelled both ways. Since I pronounce it without an "O" I decided to write it that way. Now I'm second guessing myself :)
Do you remember the possum we had in our yard in Fredericksburg?! I had to pull it out of a hole by it's tail and put it in a gunny sack and let it go down the road!! I never tugged on anything so hard and was surprised that I got it out!! They are glorified rats as far as I am concerned!!
Mom, that was an armadillo. I totally remember you doing that! As I always say, you are 10 times the woman I am. I would NEVER in a million years touch one of those things!
Kona is my hero. Oh, you, too, Zig.
You're right, Ashley. It was an armadillo!! Got the wrong animal but sorta the same story!??
Way to go Zig, RRUUGGGHHH ;)
Ewwww! I am glad it is far far away! That is a very rad story! Way to go Zig!
We just did a research topic on opossums! They are actually kindof interesting. I would have loved to seen it pinned against the fence. Good job Zig!
This is Ryan on Amber's account. Oppossums are actually marsupials and I believe they are the only marsupial in North America. Apparently they were considered a delicacy in the 1800s and early 1900s. You guys should have fried him up for the kids!
Post a Comment