I've decided to let the girls plan the weekly menu this week since they are out of school. They are going through their cookbooks and selecting recipes that appeal to them. Tonight was no surprise, Chicken Noodle Soup.
We have made a lot of chicken noodle soup this year, not because I love it. It's not my favorite. But it does last for a couple of days, it is extremely healthy, and it guarantees a joyous mealtime. We have fun making it too...this part I do enjoy. Here is our method:
We begin with a rotisserie chicken. Sela gets two bowls and places all the chicken pieces worthy of the soup in one bowl and the other bones and scraps in the other. She probably gets twice the amount of chicken off as I do when I do the same job. She is so thorough and she really likes to do it. She loves finding the wishing bone and making a wish with Nina.
While she does that, I chop garlic, an onion, two carrots, and two or three celery sticks.
Nina wipes and slices mushrooms which I will saute' and put in the soup last. Mushrooms are just for me, I love them in the soup.
Once Sela has enough bones and other stuff, I start making stock with my veggies scraps, plus others I've saved, some spices, and peppercorns.
Then I saute the chopped veggies. When the broth is good and ready (about 20 minutes), I strain it (reserving all the bones and veggies for Max) and add it to the sauteed veggies. Then we add Sela's chicken. I season with salt and pepper and add fresh herbs...usually thyme or parsley. Then we add the noodles (already boiled) and not just any noodles. Lisa, a friend of mine, makes the best chicken noodle soup. The noodles taste homemade...more dumpling like than pasta-like. The difference for me is huge! I finally called and asked her where to find these noodles and she directed me to this brand I had never before seen or heard of. I bought 8 bags, just in case they were in short supply. I think it makes all the difference. They were found at just a regular grocery store around here, something like a Safeway. They are Mrs. Weiss's egg Kluski egg dumpling noodles. They come dried and they are just so yummy. I like chicken noodle soup so much more because of them.
And finally, sometimes I add a couple dallops of pesto for more flavor. I find CNS bland sometimes, so I try to bring the flavor up a notch . I will also add chopped greens if I have them.
This whole process takes us an hour or so, but it's a very harmonious time in the kitchen because everyone has their specialty and there's no arguing as to who does what. Nina would never lay hands on a chicken and Sela likes it that way :) No one fights me for an onion to chop either.
1 comment:
I absolutely love your kitchen! And it looks like yours gets a lot of use! I always loved chicken noodle soup.
Post a Comment