Saturday, March 12, 2011

Flying Trapeze

Today a group of friends and I went to the Circus School to learn the Flying Trapeze. One of my friends started a little group called Carpe diem. Basically it's a group of women with varied interests and the idea is that every other month a different person chooses an activity they've always wanted to do and the rest of the group joins/supports them in living out this dream, goal or whatever. A couple months ago, they rented a private space, fat suits, and did sumo wrestling! Awesome, isn't it? I was incredibly bummed to miss it for basketball (of all things!) Especially after I heard about how much fun it was.

I'm not sure I would say I've always dreamed of doing the flying trapeze, but it is something that has always sounded fun. And Seattle just happens to have a circus school. So this afternoon we headed to downtown Seattle and gave it our best shot.

Photobucket

We had a great time soaring through the air and laughing at ourselves. The first time was actually a bit more intimidating than I was anticipating. I don't have a fear of heights, but it was hard to step off the platform the first time. I definitely hesitated. But there is really no turning back once you're up there and I was so proud of everyone, especially those who did have a fear of heights!

Photobucket
Sarah was hysterical. None of knew crazy Sarah was afraid of heights. She kept us highly entertained.

The facial expressions from some of the photos are just priceless.
Photobucket 
Julie flipping.

The camaraderie was great and we all just had so much fun stepping way out of our comfort zones and cheering each other on. Carpe diem!!Photobucket


I tried a transfer at the very end. Ending on this note made me want to come back for more. Every ounce of  skill is on the guy who catches, but  it was still quite an adrenalin rush.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Holy cow, that is awesome Ash!!! You are hilarious!!! I had no idea you had a thing for the trapeze!

Erin said...

I heard the computer in the media room and thought what in the world is going on! I knew Erin was on the computer and, in my wildest, would have never guessed that the noise was my daughter flying through the air on a trapeze. Looks like you had a great time. Congratulations!!!

Amber Marie said...

you are the coolest. ever!

the Geoff Davis said...

There is a circus school in Oakland we have been wanting to take the girls to and this cinches the deal. It looks like so much fun. What a fun idea for a group of friends.

Colleen said...

Adam, my sister and I did this last summer when we were there and it was AMAZING! Isn't it fun?! I know exactly what you mean about that first step off being a doozie. I think you wonder if you are going to be able to actually hold on. :) The catch definitely has you wanting to join the trapeze team in the circus! I love the idea of this group, fantastic!

Trisha said...

Wow, that is very impressive! Who knew you could take trapeze lessons around here. I think I know a few girls in your group too! Cant wait to see what you do next.