Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rollin is a whole hand!

5 1/2 years ago I found out I was having a little boy.

Photobucket

 This was very welcome news! Naturally I hoped for a boy because I had two daughters and was eager to experience both. I love my brothers and my life has been richly blessed growing up with them.  I also have  a wonderful, kind and loving father so it was exciting to have a little boy. At the same time, I had no idea what to expect. I could only imagine girls, and I loved my girls. I understood girls and felt a decent amount of confidence in my ability to raise them. And to be honest, I kind of thought boys were messy, super active, and broke everything. Well, I was right on all accounts, but I so totally underestimated how sweet, gentle, loving, and sensitive they would be. I couldn't have conceived both how much I would adore them and also how they would love and adore me. Not a day goes by where Rollin doesn't say " I love you" or "You're the best mom in the world," or "When I grow up I'm going to marry you." Now I KNOW I am not the best mom in the world and I know someday Rollin's understanding of marriage will evolve, but I love to hear those sweet words coming straight from his tender and sincere 5 year old heart. I tear up just thinking about Rollin's sweet smile, his big brown eyes, his laugh, and his absolute zest for life, people, and  adventure.  He  hugs me, snuggles me, and always reminds me to pray with him. There really are no words for the depth of my love for this boy. I know I will not always be the center of his universe but I so treasure these moments where we are so close and bonded to one another. Life is so much more colorful and fun with Rollin in it. Happy Birthday Rollin! You are loved so much more than you will ever know.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rollin's birthday is on March 2nd which was a travel day for us this year. Most of his special day was spent in the car and on the plane. We wrapped up some little goodies for him to open each time the beverage cart came by which was about 4 times. He was very excited to get "real candy" and even root beer at 9am! (one day only, I promise!) My options were limited since we came up with the idea last minute, but my lack of planning was certainly his gain!

We will be having his party later in the month, but we did take him to dinner this week to celebrate. He was in a silly mood, hamming it up for the camera, as is evidenced by the photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket
I wasn't the only one very excited for you to join our family!

8 comments:

Amber Marie said...

This is Ryan. Ash, your hair looks awesome. You look great. Sad that kuaui is over for yall for now. Happy Birthday Wild Man!

Dee Ann said...

What special pictures. Rollin truly does light up your family. What a gifted and talented young five year old. Granny will be watching and praying for your contined growth and happiness, Rollin. I love you!!

the Geoff Davis said...

Back in Seattle all tan and refreshed...

I would love to hear your thoughts on ideas/changes on family life. It is such a gift to step out of reality for awhile to get a clear perspective on things.

Happy Birthday, Rollin! Five is so ENORMOUS TRISONASAURMOUS!

Amber Marie said...

happy birthday rollie-boo! cute pictures of you all.

Amber Marie said...

i guess i've missed some posts!

so nina's meditating?- i'm seeing a perfect hypnobirthing candidate emerging!! ;) also i LOVE her striped bathing suit. i'm looking for a suit for camilla for costa rica.

and that shaved ice looks so yummy every time i see a picture. i remember my hawaii roommates telling me about the shaved ice.

looks like you guys had an amazing time. maybe i would enjoy a little island time...

ashley said...

amber, the bathing suit is janie and jack. I wanted one for myself :) Nina is wearing a size 5 for reference. the have several really cute suits this season.

Simply Sherrie said...

i echo ryan...you look wonderful ashley(hair, skin, smile)! and happy birthday to rollin! what a fun little boy! can't wait to see him in person someday. in the meantime, the pictures speak loudly. love him!

Colleen said...

Happy birthday, sweet Rollin! He sounds like a dear little boy in every perfect little way!