Saturday, February 12, 2011

Aloha!

Photobucket

The windows and doors are all open. The warm morning rain is coming down. The birds, frogs, chickens, and other tiny creatures are together making a beautiful, lively sound. It feels like we are in a tropical rain forest. February in Kauai means rain showers a couple times a day, especially here on the north shore. But it's warm. And the sun follows the rain. Yesterday during a brief afternoon shower, the kids and I went on a little hike around the house. The natual beauty is breathtaking. We were soaking wet and covered in red dirt when we came back so we washed off...this red dirt is pretty stubborn...and jumped in the pool.

Photobucket


We made a quick trip down to Hanalei yesterday to get some fish tacos and play on the beach. I'm happy Evan still has some hesitation about getting in the ocean, because he has none with the pool, and that keeps me on my toes. Zig and Rollin made a trip to Walmart yesterday to get Evan a perma-lifejacket. They came back with a slingshot and BB gun as well. I think I mentioned the chicken population that runs wild on Kauai after our visit in October. We thought it was pretty neat when we were here last, and we still love the chickens, but the roosters waking us up at 3 am are about to meet their maker. Well, that is, if Zig's aim is good. There are no natural predators on Kauai for the chickens so they are everywhere. Since our home is adjacent to 15 or so wild undeveloped acres, the roosters are abundant. And they think morning starts at 3am. Our housekeeper and her husband caught 25 or so  in the past couple of months and relocated them (uh huh). Anyway, always an adventure. Every time we order free range chicken over here, we wonder...

Photobucket
Stay back, kids!

Last night when we pulled in the driveway, we couldn't believe our eyes. In the headlights of the car, we could literally see dozens of frogs hopping all over the yard. Amazing! I love frogs and even though we hear them at night in Seattle, we don't see them much. The ones we do see are the little ones. These were medium sized toads. The kind that are fun to catch. Well, until they pee in your hand, as both Sela and Nina quickly discovered. We have also seen egrets, many beautiful colorful birds, big snails, 2 wild boars, a swan, ducks, and fish. The koi in the front pond are keeping the kids entertained and have all been named, of course.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When we finally touched down on Wednesday night, I had a sore throat, an earache, and a throbbing head. I was totally spent. In the days leading up to our trip, Evan, Nina and I had ear infections. Several of the kids were coughing and mildly congested. Nina had to get some urgent work done on her teeth...more about that later. I had lost my voice and had a sore throat, but there wasn't time to really rest. I just kept thinking, if I can just make it to Kauai, then I can rest. Evan slept with us that first night and he and the roosters kept us out of anything near a deep sleep. First thing on the agenda Thursday morning was getting Evan a crib. We found one on Craig's list and had it set-up by mid-morning. None of our kids have ever slept well in porta-cribs so we didn't even try that route. Zig and I agree that a crib for Evan is money VERY well spent :) For a couple hours a day and all night, we know he is safe and confined. And I had a good night's sleep last night. Yes! The sore throat, headache, and earache are all gone. Mahalo!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Ketsy said...

I think I have figured out a place I could let the grass grow under my feet! :) Keep us posted on your time in paradise!

Dee Ann said...

Sounds and looks like you are in the Garden of Eden. No doubt you are enjoying your vacation in paradise!! I am glad you are able to rest. Both you and Zig burn the candle at both ends and need to STOP and smell the roses for a time. Enjoy your stay and keep the pics coming!! Love to all, MOM