Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day...






Today we had a wonderful and to be totally honest, exhausting father's day. We started the day with gusto. Erin and I made homemade donuts (in honor of our Dad), huevos rancheros, hashbrowns and strawberry freezes. It was a yummy brunch. Erin and I realized after we bought the ingredients to make the donuts that Zig won't eat anything fried and John had this totally random goal of not eating donuts. Erin said he never ate them anyway, but for some reason he made that goal. But, we were so excited about making them ourselves that we went ahead. The guys ended up polishing off the donuts no problem in the true spirit of father's day. It was pretty funny.

After a fairly leisurly brunch and sharing our favorite memories of our dads, we got ready for church. When we came home we were all quite tired. The kids were melting but somehow we eventually got our homemade gyoza and rice bowls on the table. The babies both have colds and were incredibly whiney today. They also woke up very early and we stayed up sooo late last night. I am so tired tonight my eye balls hurt. But, it's been a great week overall. Zig and I had the rare opportunity of going out on a date at 2:30 in the afternoon until the evening on Friday. Erin and John were so nice to watch the kids and we had so much fun just hanging out, doing some shopping, and going to Cafe Flora, one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants. We are all loving our little "commune" setup :)

Saturday night Zig, John, Sela and I went out to Tolt McDonald park for an evening mountain bike ride. We had dinked around all day and finally got on our way at about 7pm. Just our luck as we got our bikes unloaded, it started to pour. Not the drizzle that we typically have, but full on rain. We just had to laugh because we couldn't do any real trails. I didn't have rainproof gear on and neither did John. Zig and Sela did. Sela was a trooper. She loved riding through all the puddles and the rain didn't bother her. I was soaked. I was shivering and we had the shortest ride ever. I continued to shiver for hours after we got home. But it's a great memory for sela and something to look back on and laugh about for the rest of us.

Dad, we took these pictures especially for you because we are so bad about getting things in the mail. We kept saying we need stamps, we need stamps all week. Finally we decided to try and take some pictures for you and Sela worked hard on a card. We love you so much!!!! Happy Father's Day.











3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun father's day. I am very impressed with the day's menu! :) We need to have a recipe site- where you guys just post all your recipes ;)

The kids look so cute and are getting so big I can't believe how old everybody looks!

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you how much I enjoyed the posting on your blog. The pictures were so cute of all of the kids - they are changing every day. Tell Sela that I loved the picture that she drew for me - she is such a little artist. I love all of you very much and you have all made such wonderful lives for yourself - you have exceeded all of my expectations as I could not be more proud and happy for you. This was the first Father's Day where I did not have the opportunity to tell my father "Happy Father's Day", and I missed that so much. I told Ryan and Brant's family that all of the grandchildren were so fortunate to have such wonderful fathers and mothers who cared for them and loved them so much. Be glad that you can tell your father "Happy Father's Day".

I am just so happy that each of my children have been blessed with special spouses who care for them and their children. You all have remarkable lives now and ahead of you. I love you dearly and wish I could give each of you a big bear hug!
Love always, Dad
P.S. Hey Zig and John, how about those fried homemade doughnuts?

Dee Ann said...

ditto to what Dad said!! Larry and I are so very fortunate to have such wonderful children and children-in-law. To watch these little grandchildren you've given us grow is such a blessing and especially to know that they are being brought up in homes where love is the language. It seems like I am always looking at each of their pictures and thinking they are so adorable and fun loving. Life truly is good!!