Monday, October 3, 2011

Ricotta Doughnuts!

I always make homemade doughnuts on Conference weekend. It's an indulgence for sure, but I look forward to them as much as the kids, even though I can't enjoy as MANY as they do! I usually stick with my mom's tried and true recipe, but I'm also a sucker for new recipes so we tried these ricotta doughnuts for a change.  With eggs and ricotta, these do have some protein to balance the sugar. Not health food by any means, but we did have green smoothies to go with them! I added a bunch of extra spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves) to the batter and they were delicious. It's hard to go wrong with  homemade doughnuts though.



Ricotta Doughnuts

 Ingredients
6 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 pound whole or skim milk ricotta
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (any whole grain flour works fine)
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
Powdered sugar in a shaker or cinnamon sugar

Instructions
1. In a large bowl, together the eggs, sugar, ricotta, flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract until combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.
2. Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a deep, heavy pot to 325°F. Drop the batter by small ice cream scoopfuls or small spoonfuls (use 2 teaspoons) into the oil and fry for 3 minutes, turning often, until golden brown on each side. You may need fry the doughnuts in two batches to avoid crowding the pot. Break open doughnut to make sure it’s cooked all the way through. Scoop out the doughnuts with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels or a brown paper bag to drain. Let the oil come back up to temperature and repeat with remaining batter.
3. Dust  with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar and serve hot.


This recipe made quite a bit so the kids were stoked to have doughnuts two times!! Who kidnapped our mom, the children asked?


Somebody wants to be just like his big brother. Look at that cute little thumb!

Every time I make green smoothies, I think of this video . My friend, Darcie, shared this gem (made by her cousins) with me. It's hilarious!

5 comments:

Ketsy said...

That video is my favorite. "I made you a smoo-thie!" I am sure you sing to yourself too. :)

Colleen said...

YUM!

Dee Ann said...

Oh boy, what a funny video! I bet any kid would take those somewhat healthy ricotta donuts you made, Ash, over the brewing mushrooms!! What in the world were those anyway? Did Nina get slighted on her portion of the donuts?!

ashley said...

It's Kombucha, Mom. It's supposed to be really good for you. I actually like it but I would never try to serve it to the kids :)I have my limits!

Erin said...

Yum!! We opted for lemon pancakes, since I am kind of addicted to those things right now!