Salmon Cakes
•Vegetable oil, for frying (or butter)
•3 (6-ounce) portions cooked salmon or 3 (6-ounce) cans salmon, drained well
•1 1/2 cups cracker meal (I used Panko crumbs)
•2 large eggs, beaten
•2 rounded teaspoons Old Bay seasoning blend
•1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
•20 blades fresh chives, snipped or chopped
•2 to 3 tablespoons fresh dill, a handful, finely chopped
•1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
•1 lemon, zested and juiced
•Salad greens
•Coarse salt
•Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
•1/2 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise
•1/2 cup chili sauce
•2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
Directions
Heat a large, heavy skillet with 1 inch of frying oil over moderate heat. ( I did not do this, instead just a simple pan fry with a drizzle of olive oil and a pat of butter. It was fine and plenty "fried")
Flake the cooked cooled salmon with a fork. Add cracker meal to the bowl and work through the fish with your hands. Add the eggs, seasoning, pepper, chives, dill, pepper sauce, and the zest of one lemon to the bowl. Combine the ingredients well with your hands. If the mixture is a little wet, add a bit more cracker meal. Form 3-inch patties of salmon cakes 1-inch thick. You should yield 8 to 10 cakes. Fry cakes until golden in a single layer 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel lined plate.
Toss salad greens with coarse salt and the juice of the lemon you zested. Drizzle the greens with a little extra-virgin olive oil and re-toss the salad to coat.
Combine mayonnaise, chili sauce and relish in a small dish. To serve, place salmon cakes on a bed of baby greens, 2 cakes per person and top with chili mayonnaise sauce.
** The WILD canned salmon at Costco is awesome and makes this a meal I can throw together at a moments notice. Fresh salmon would work too, but we usually eat that up and never have leftovers.
3 comments:
Hey, Ashley!
I saw your reply to mine about the Good to the Grain cookbook. I have really enjoyed it, but one trade-off is that she often uses a lot of butter- and sometimes a lot of sugar- in her recipes. In a perfect world, I'd like to keep the fat and sugar content down on baked goods, but I so enjoy the fact that my picky eaters will eat the whole grains that I'll take it...and the recipes I've made so far have all been really, really good. :-)Another fun cookbook is The Produce Bible. Do you have it? I haven't made a single recipe in it I don't think, but it has loads of info on all kinds of produce, including herbs, even really unusual stuff. I had fun reading it just for that. Loved your idea about sprinkling turbinado sugar on muffin tops, by the way! I restocked my tin of it this week just because of that! Oh, and I was delighted to see your salmon cakes too. I was online just before suppertime and decided to whip up a similar recipe for my family. I have a great recipe for tuna cakes with fennel. Unfortunately, my fennel has all bolted and become woody, so I had to leave that out. But I did serve them with a mayo sauce (have you tried mixing a chipotle salsa with mayo?- so good!-esp with fish tacos!) on a bed of lettuce. Okay, I've gone on and on long enough! Thanks for sharing your day to day! -Jennifer
Thank, Jennifer! Great recipe ideas and I would love the tuna cakes with fennel recipe...I've got some fennel right now :) One of our "go-to" meals is fish tacos. I always have the stuff for it on hand...we had them tonight actually! I will definitely try the salsa idea...sounds awesome. Next time I'm in the valley, I would love to get together with you and Benji's wife. Would be so much fun!
Yummers! Isn't that what Rachel Ray says? Or something like that ;). Really, though, I'll have to try the Costco canned salmon. I am always wary of buying "fresh" fish this far from any ocean.
Post a Comment