Sunday, August 29, 2010

everybody loves babies

We all cuddled up on the couch tonight and watched the documentary film,  Babies. Every single one of us enjoyed it tremendously, even Evan. The movie follows four babies from different parts of the world during their first year of life and it was fascinating to see how alike mothers and babies are no matter where they are, but also how drastically different their circumstances are from place to place. My favorite family, and the one with the most beautiful scenery in the background, was the family from Mongolia living in a yurt in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to reach into the screen and grab that chubby little dark-haired cherub for myself. There were many sweet scenes, and funny moments (2 babies don't wear diapers), and lots of nursing on the run (Namibia). There is one scene towards the end where the mother from Africa is walking alongside her baby and he starts to fuss, the hungry fuss that every mother recognizes, and she simply leans down and gives him a quick snack. To me it was the most natural thing in the world and so beautiful in its simplicity. A lovely film for sure. When one of the babies said his first word, Evan looked at the screen and said something back. And we all cheered.

I've been thinking some about babies lately. Evan is quite a handful right now, naturally. Climbing on tables and standing in windowsills.  Close calls every single day.  And messes...so many messes. I'm often totally spent at the end of the day. But Evan is such a delight and an incredible blessing to our family! He is the most affectionate and cuddly baby we've had. He can get Zig to smile in the wee hours of the morning no matter how little sleep he's had. Certainly one of the things I've enjoyed most about Evan's first year is watching how much our other children adore him, protect him, and love him. They love him so much it hurts sometimes...right Evan?!! Sela and Nina both comment nearly every day about how they can't imagine life without him and how he makes them so happy. And they thank me so sincerely for having another baby.

And then they plead for "just one more." Never satisfied I tell you.

 As I was driving somewhere last week, on a rather hectic day, I turned the music on in the car and Evan just totally started singing and dancing in his chair. He always sings in his carseat and it makes each of our spirits soar. He can change the mood and reverse cranky attitudes in the car with something as simple as a big toothy smile, a belly laugh, or funny face. Babies take so much attention and time and life is rather unproductive when caring for a little one, but the sweet and simple joys are really magical and like nothing else in this world. Nothing.

I love my baby.


Evan had a lot in common with some of the babies in the movie, he loves to be naked and loves to explore!

stay small for momma, okay little evie?

4 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Ohhh, too sweet and truly a gift from Heaven to cherish, love and train in the way he should go!! I give thanks every day to know our grandbabies are all being brought up in homes where love is the spoken!! I offer many prayers on behalf of you mothers who nuture and care for the wee ones of the earth. Truly all consuming but blessed times for sure.

Erin said...

I've heard great things about that movie. Can't wait to see it!
Lately, for some reason, I have been so weepy! I was folding laundry today watching Moriah and Jude play and I started to cry thinking about those two. They were once babies... Ugh I hate it :(

Colleen said...

Aww! So sweet! It's so true. I think about my not-so-tiny Tommy all the time and fill with such love and wish he could stay just how he is forever. {sigh}

Babies is on our list of to-see movies! My mom loved it too.

the Geoff Davis said...

Cute pics of little Evan. Thanks for the nice thoughts. I look forward to seeing that movie, I've heard great things about it.