Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Week

I love Easter. A relatively simple holiday, yet there is so much beauty to celebrate. The natural world is waking up. There are buds and blossoms everywhere. There are bunnies, choruses of bird songs, chicks, flowers, and new life everywhere you look.


 The sweet smell of the air is intoxicating.
Daffodils line the walkways and the tulips bloomed this week. All they needed was one sunny day to pry themselves open, and miracle of all miracles, they got one! In theory, the sun begins to shine more in spring, but I'm going to keep this post positive and just not go there. El Nino (or La Nina?) is a real meanie.





Totally off topic, but Kona got a new collar. It's a dainty little thing.
 And he is seeing his playmates a bit more often when the rain lets up.
We enjoyed reading scriptures about Christ's life, miracles, sacrifice, and resurrection this week. There is so much joy in the true meaning of Easter and I love helping the kids appreciate the meaning of this beautiful time of year.  Easter feels like so much more of a fresh start for me than say, New Years. I've set some new goals and done some personal spring cleaning. I have also done quite a bit of spring cleaning around the house and that feels wonderful too!

We also got our creative juices flowing this week which felt great. After being in a bit of a cooking funk for a couple weeks, I got busy making all sorts of stuff. We have an Easter party each year that we've all come to look forward to. We reconnect with neighbors and old friends we don't see as much as we'd like to. I've had many years of good luck with the weather and have never had rain cancel the party.  This year, however, I thought we were toast. Seattle had not hit 60 degrees once this year, and most days have been in the 45 degree range. I mentioned to my friend, Lisa, that I was not content with a sun break for the party, I wanted to be hot. I'm not sure how it happened but Saturday was full sun, not a cloud in the sky, and it was hot! I had pink cheeks at the end of the day, it was glorious!  Near 70 I think. Sunday it was back to rain and cold. I only got a few pictures before the guests came and a few once most people had left. Next year, maybe.

 Early in the week the kids helped stuff 740 eggs.Tough job, but someone's got to do it!
I think they sampled a few of the goods!

 Each year I want to buy Peeps, but I know they are just horribly disgusting little things. But they're so cute, and the colors are so fun! This year I couldn't resist so I bought some and Nina & I decided to make some table decorations out of them. Nina loved this task and skewered tons of little Peeps! We got to enjoy them but not necessarily eat them. Perfect!
 Nina's finished product!
 I got a new tart pan (thanks Mom!) and went a little crazy. I made ham and cheddar tarts, mushroom, Gruyere, & chive tarts, and asparagus, pea, Gruyere and dill tarts. I spent way too much time on these, but they were so much fun!

I also tried a Tutti Fruity Crumble for Babcia's birthday (she came for the weekend),  and some Enchiladas for Rollin.
 
 Happy Birthday, Tina!
 The sugar is already kicking in for Rollin!

I made 4 pans of cinnamon rolls and used the Pioneer Woman Recipe. I had never made homemade cinnamon rolls before, and after doing so,  I'm not sure I will eat another cinnamon roll again. I knew they were bread, sugar and butter, but whoa. They were good, but over the top. If I'm going to abuse my body in that way, it's going to be for something far more tasty than a cinnamon roll! Anyway, there were lots of kids at the brunch and I aim to please :) With all the delicious food everyone contributed, the brunch was fabulous. I did make a few healthy things as well...asparagus bread pudding, quinoa salad, and curried chicken salad.



Nina always dresses for the occasion!
Rollin's way of helping us get ready for the party.
There's my baby. Don't ask about the haircut. Just never go to Great Clips. This is how they interpret 
"Keep it long!" Sadness. I hate the little man haircut, but I love the little man. Smooch.

Nina thinking "Do I really have to stop at the "savory" table before heading to the sweet stuff?"

Hannah, Debi, and Lisa.

The bunnies enjoyed the extra attention.
Croissant Bread Pudding...yum!
I sure missed out on the good conversation at this table...
Ketsy, Dagney (world's sweetest baby), and Broc Hendershot doing what they do best, chillin' out and lookin' good!
Every year I wish I had time to take more pictures. Of the 40 + kids in attendance, I got pictures of maybe 8. I didn't get any of the hunt at all, but here are a few kiddies post-hunt negotiating candy trades.
Oh no, Nina snuck a PEEP! Gross!
Treats really aren't necessary after all the goodies from the Easter egg hunt but I love making little bird's nest cupcakes.
Ketsy and Evan bonded over jelly beans. Evan has a new best friend!
Rollin riding the scooter he brought back from Mom's house. He loves that thing!
Sophia and Sela doing a double swing.
Glorious sun! Even after the party was over, I was still taking pictures of the sun. My prayers were answered Easter 2011!




5 comments:

Wendy said...

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for such a lovely party. I am so grateful that you have this annual party so that we are guaranteed at least one day of sun in April. :) Thanks again!

Dee Ann said...

Darling, I don't know how you do half of what you do!!! Beautiful, fun party but exhausting to listen to all you did to prepare. You are really extraordinary!!

Ketsy said...

Agreed: the day was beautiful and you are extraordinary! Thanks for a really lovely time.
Hugs and jelly beans to Evan and all of you!

Dee Ann said...

Oh, by the way, you know where the sun is shining don't you?! Just a friendly reminder!!

Shenise said...

glad the sun came your way! although we didn't make it for the Easter party of the year, sigh... i was truly hoping and i did actually pray the sun would shine down! what an event and what a party planner!