Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sela is 10!!

Wow, 10 years sure went by fast! Sela made me a mother ten years ago. Her birth was peaceful and serene and one of the most treasured moments of my life. The days and years since have been an amazing journey. I haven't been a perfect parent, but she has been a remarkable child. I love her with all of my heart.

There is so much to say about this sweet child and so many conflicting feelings I have about her growing up. Here are a few things we have admired about Sela this year and a snapshot of our 10 year old. We're in the double digits now. The beginning of the end. Just kidding. It's no secret I never want my kids to leave home! Life is beautiful with the laughter, energy and enthusiasm of children.

1. Sela is happy. She can be serious at times, but she is such a happy child. Some of the things that make her happy are feeling understood, a clean house (she can't focus in a mess so she will completely tidy a space before sitting down to draw or read) She is often found telling Rollin to pick up his paper cuttings & and markers that seem to take over the table on a daily basis. Riding the bus, trying new activities,receiving the Friend magazine in the mail, all kinds of animals, PE, chats at bedtime, making breakfast for the family, special outings, potato soup, music, notes on her bed, playing board games, sports, writing and creating all bring a smile to her face.

2. Sela is a dedicated artist and burns through erasers as she constantly self-edits her work and tries to improve her technique. I enjoy having her art all around the house. She loves her art class. It doesn't matter how tired she is, she always loves to go to art. She and Nina go in the evening and both the teacher and the environment are so empowering.

3. Sela loves to try new things. This year she joined the orchestra at school and is playing the cello. This commitment requires her to get up at 6:30 on Tuesday and Thursday and ride the junior high bus to practice. Because this was entirely her decision, she is committed to getting there each class and it only takes a whisper into her room for her to almost leap out of bed. She gets on the bus in the dark.

4. Sela is competitive. Along with cross country and tennis this year, she joined basketball this season and oh my gosh, it's so much fun to watch her scramble for the ball. I love to cheer for her. You can't cheer much in tennis so it's fun for me to be able to be loud and cheer her on!! She's working hard and having a great time and enjoying being part of a team. She totally gets how important it is to work together and she has made several assists. She made her first basket in the first game but focuses more on stealing the ball.She's also a really good sport, win or lose. And given that they are a first year team and the others all played last year, they have experienced being pummeled.

Photobucket

5. She has an incredible group of friends. I could not be more pleased with the group of girls she spends her time with. They are all so nice and supportive of one another. Their families are great. I haven't seen the cattiness that I feared might crop up at their age. This is such a blessing and probably a reason why she loves school and is able to focus on learning rather than the social dynamics.

6. Sela is driven. She wants to improve in different areas and will spend lots of time working on things on her own. Her interests change, but she will key in on something for a few weeks or more and then most of her free time will be spent researching or reading about the subject. Right now she has decided she wants to work on her presentation skills. I know they recite poetry and lots of other things in class and she does really well. She enjoys the positive feedback and the feeling of being in front of an audience. She made a power point this week at home (for fun) on exercise and presented it to me. As soon as that was done, she wrote a Polish Christmas story and illustrated it.



7. Sela loves family. She loves to be home. She looks forward to family home evening, movie night, and lives for the weekends as long as we're home for the most part. She's loves her brothers and sister.

8. She loves her grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. She loved getting a message for her birthday on facebook from Erin and Granny this year as well as the phone calls. I love knowing she has such a wonderful and supportive family and I know she is strengthened by those relationships.

9. Sela has become hugely more responsible this year. I don't have to remind her about anything school or homework related. She has a planner and takes care of it right after school. She takes care of big multi-week projects on her own and also fits in time to write her own stories just for fun. At her parent/teacher/student conference, she lead the entire discussion. The teacher only said a few words. They make this switch in 4th grade but it was so fun to watch her self-assess. She identified her strengths and set goals to improve certain areas.

10. Sela has a kind heart and wants to do what is right. She has prayed and received answers and has felt the spirit in her life which is such a blessing. I love her with all of my heart and couldn't be more pleased with who she is at age 10. I love you, baby girl!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Dee Ann said...

I love you, too, baby girl but I have to say you look all grown up in that picture!! Beautiful young lady and your Mom is pretty striking herself! What a wonderful relationship - mother/daughter. Sela, you are an exceptional granddaughter with so many Christlike qualities. Your caring and sensitive heart will draw others to you and their lives will be blessed for having been in your presence. Glad you had a wonderful birthday.

the Geoff Davis said...

Happy Birthday, Sela! Your mom did a pretty good job telling us about you! What a fabulous young woman you are! It is fun to watch you grow up...I started when you were just one! I wish we could be there to cheer you on during a basketball game, silently clap during a tennis match, listen to your cello performances, and hear your power point presentations! We miss you and love you.